Hole in airbox

Guest RedCutlassSL

Man I can almost 100% guaranty you that by the time that air gets from the box through the filter through the intake pipe and throught tb its no longer damp. You would almost have to pour water in the intake which some people do to steem clean there valves to do any harm.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• godofthunder

• Robby1870

• Brian P

• LukeZ34

can you take pics at all?

Im doing this once my dremmel arrives (bought one online).

Jon

Yeah I'll get a digital camera and take it back out, hopefully I'll have em up later today or tomorrow

Robby

The front

airbox_front.jpg

The side

airbox_away.jpg

The side, up close

airbox_side_close.jpg

The top without the filter

airbox_top.jpg

Hope these help. The side that has been cut out is the side by the battery, and where the hole in the front is, is where the snorkel used to be.

well, I had the snorkel removed a long time ago and thought it was faster. I gained something on the top end (along with extra noise underhood), but the low end power suffered big time. THe only thing the 89-93 3.1 is really good for is low end power, so I put the airbox back together and I'm much happier. The twin cam and the Turbo probably like it though :wink:

yeah thats true. I have only driven it like 4 miles with it like that, but the low end b/n 2300 and 3000 seemed better, and throttle resonse was better. But, well see. I drive it more this weekend and see what happens. I gotta get that shift thingy you told me about, Im looking forward to that

Robby

there is the potential for loss in low end torque, which is all 3.1Ls have to their name.

Robby

you said it! It's a difft story for 3100's which have a better intake design. 3100's are all about top end guy

yeah I know.....my sis's 3100 will get up and go in top end, I was surprised. I might get her off the line, but she'll get me top end for sure. 3.1Ls run out of power at like 4500 or 4800

Robby

So would I have the same problems on the 3100? When I put in the K&N, I noticed a drop in low end, but beter response and high end. I would like to add to the high end, but not kill the car so it cant get off the line.

Jon

yeah i have the 3100 and im really hung on weather or not a new intake/cone filter or airbox modification will be worth it (if im still gunna loose major low-end like the 3.1). if thats the case i dont want it. i still have yet to take a spin in it with the airbox off completley off

To me at times, 3100s are really bad off the line (at times). Over the fall, I laid a 30ft black line (was pissesed off, just hit the gas right). But once over 3000 RPMS is like a monster. PUshes you back, loud as hell, etc.

Actually, I may do what you were saying ismeelrealbad. Just drive up and down the road real quick with the airbox off, and see how it does. If i can see a difference, then I prob will do it.

Jon

If i was to put on a cone air filter setup on my 88 2.8 would it hurt the low end? I know i read a post about this a while back but never really understood if it actually hurt or helped the motor. I want to do the cone filter but not if it's gonna hurt the overall performance...thanks..

so how about the 94+ GP? does the low end power drop on it when you add the cone filter or the air box mods? Just wonderin' cause I definately need mid-high end power and a low end boost would be nice. What do you guys suggest?

I think you should attempt it and find out. On a side note I might consider a cone filter if I could find one at a reasonable price. I had one on for a couple of minutes and drove around, it did feel sluggish at the bottom but it did pick up at the top end. I want to take it out on the highway because that's where most of my driving is done, and honestly that's where I need the power. Anyone selling one? I don't need the tube, most likely that cone won't stay on too long.