1993 Lumina Z34 stalling while driving

Steve Williamson

1993 Lumina Z34 stalling

The car just quits running when driving the highway or stopping for a light.

It idles smooth and there's know lunge when it stalls. I had a code 32 and changed the EGR valve. After this change I got a 43 code which is the knock sensor. Talked to some mechanics and was told that wouldn't cause the stalling problem. So I changed the ignition module also the 3 coils. Drove over 60 miles and it did it again. Pull over and it starts imediately. Its like turning the key off. Any ideas?

1993 Lumina Z34 stalling

The car just quits running when driving the highway or stopping for a light.

It idles smooth and there's know lunge when it stalls. I had a code 32 and changed the EGR valve. After this change I got a 43 code which is the knock sensor. Talked to some mechanics and was told that wouldn't cause the stalling problem. So I changed the ignition module also the 3 coils. Drove over 60 miles and it did it again. Pull over and it starts imediately. Its like turning the key off. Any ideas?

At night in & your drive, pop the hood with the engine running. Look to make sure your spark plug wire's aren't shorting someplace on the head.

Still sounds like an egr problem though...but go check your battery terminal wires first.I had a car that acted like this and turned out the negative wire was coming loose and would start,run and cut out.The start back up fine.

Check all the wirings and etc.Check the simple stuff,be sure the ecm is fully plugged in as well.Check all the fuses too.Always go with the basic stuff first.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

so your saying that you gota wait awhile before it will restart?

if i were in your situation, i'd replace both the crank and knock sensor, since you have to pull the alternator to get at them, may as well do them both and save yourself a headache later on.

Just like they said, check or replace the CKPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). Just be careful not to break that into pieces and take it slowly. You may need a pry bar to help it loose because it's harder to take it out because it has magnet on it. Check the CKPS wires too to make sure it's not bare and rubbing on a metal surface.

On my vehicle, I did have the exact same problem. It turns out that the ICM was getting sprayed by the excess coolant coming out of the coolant reservoir cap as the coolant temp rises up. I replaced the coolant reservoir cap. No more coolant spraying and no more problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Stall at lights, and starts right back up....I had that problem and it turned out to be the torque converter. I unplugged it since I didn't do a whole lot of highway driving and didn't have the problem again.

Stall at lights, and starts right back up....I had that problem and it turned out to be the torque converter. I unplugged it since I didn't do a whole lot of highway driving and didn't have the problem again.

• 2 years later...

Holy old thread batman!

IIRC, GM updated the injectors because of exactly what you describe pose_Z34, the random stalling at traffic lights. That could possibly be the problem, maybe someone will chime in regarding the possibility

It starts right back up and runs fine. This only happens maybe once a day. Also, I have an issue withhigh idle when cold, but I'm sure it's the LIM gaskets. They're due to be changed anyway due to having over 150K.