• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crazy K

• sunny_8

• 2CUTTYS

• jeremy

Ok so still have not found out if anyone has used Milo's or not ? I called the guy....seems like a cuban with a body shop. I would not buy from him due to his prices being way below other people.

What about JCwhitney ?

Thanks

what number did you use to call him ? i called 305-871-2337 and its disconnected

number changed now its (305) 638-8033 called them and they will replace my boot cover.

• 1 year later...

I used to have a '92 Cutlass Convertible and I replaced the top myself project back in 1998. I changed the color from white to black, so I replaced the top and back glass. I bought the new top from Bill Hirsh Automotive in New Jersey....I called them and they shipped it to me. Back then, the replacement top and the back glass ended up being about $500. The actual to was not as costly as the back glass. I replaced it also (with defroster), since I was changing colors, and everyone told me that the white one could be dyed black, but would be probably difficult to match. The website is http://www.hirshauto.com. I also used my GM service manual, which has a section about top replacement, and I also rented a video from a website (http://www.hydroe.com). I also noticed they actually have this same video on Ebay (2252314783).

I remember that I spent an entire weekend taking the top off and putting the new one on. My recommendation is to take your time, and take lots of pictures or video as you go along. And yes, you need to do this in a garage. If you're mechanically inclined, the project is not that difficult. I was told by several people, including shops that install tops not to attempt this myself. I guess I'm just hardheaded, because I did it anyway, and was very happy with the outcome. When replacing the top, I also replaced the front weatherstrip seal and the tension cables. Also, use stainless steel staples. I remember that I couldn't find stainless steel staples, but I did find Monel staples at Home Depot, so I used those. I remember that I totalled up the entire time it took me as being 28 hours. I had read that professionals based their time as being 6 hours. And I did then when the car was still my daily driver. Unfortunately, the car got totalled about 4 years ago. :( I had bought it new in March 1992, and it had 145,000 miles on it.

how hard then would it be to replace just the back glass/curtain? mine came apart and I'd like to fix that, but I have some other priorities before an entire new top, at least $ wise

What exactly is wrong with the back glass curtain? Is the vinyl pulling away from the glass or what? That is a totally separate piece from the rest of the top. The vinyl is stapled at the bottom to the tacking strip. At the top of the glass, there are three straps that connect to a rod that runs across the third bow. You can see all of the straps if you take down the headliner. To get at the staples on the bottom, you will have to take up the center high brake light trim. Be careful not to break the side trim, because it all kind of fits together. The side trim pieces have nuts that are screwed on. You have to feel up in the trunk under where the side trim is. There's at least 2 nuts on each side (maybe 3, I can't remember, since it's been almost 10 years). You may be able to glue the vinyl back to the glass if that's your problem. A trim shop may be able to help with that fairly cheaply, I don't know. The problem with the vinyl is that based on age and sunlight, it gets brittle and shrinks, and then its hard to work with. Possibly, the only thing you can do is replace it.

Good luck.

yeah, ive epoxied it twice, and it held for about a year, and then came apart again. I know that either way I eventually want a new/good one, and since ive recently realized I can probably replace it seperate from the whole top, I'd like to, and then the new top can wait til next summer.

you will be able to easily unbolt the straps that attach it to the rear bow. There are 3 nuts that hold the side trim on that you will have to remove. There is another bolt that holds the side trim on at the door assembly, and does not necessarily have to be removed, but you gotta be slightly careful.

The biggest problem is that the top attaches over top of the rear window at the bottom and has about 5 inches of layover. I have considered just the rear window as well but I am really worried that when I attempt it will rip the top. It can be done though, but you will have to be careful and probably use pliers to pull the staples out. You wiill want to have some laquer thinner and contact cement to complete the job.

well, the bigger problem is actually finding a used one. I posted about it, but I doubt I will actually find one. I'll probably try and epoxy it again, but this time I have a garage and can take more time. It'll look kinda crappy at the seal, but better than being open i suppose. I'll more than likely just have to wait until next summer and get the whole thing done

• 1 month later...

Ok so its a bit of an old post, but I still have not replaced my top. I have decided to go with somthing other than white, it just gets too dirty. I was thinking black or beige...not sure how beige would look as I have white seats and the car is white.

My old offer of giving the boot (white) to someone still stands if they wanna help me fix my top. I am in Romeoville IL (chicagoland area).

So based on the posting - do not buy from MILOS. I was scared to get from him, as it seems his price is way below others. I think I will go the following from convertibletopguys.com

A PACKAGE SPECIAL: HAARTZ PINPOINT MAIN TOP PLUS CURTAIN (WITH DEFROSTER GLASS WINDOW), TOP PADS, SIDE CABLES, INSTALL MANUAL., 1991-95 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS CONVERTIBLE TOP $$$$479

Opinions anyone ? And has anyone bought and done this since my posting that has not already posted ?

Thanks,

I was the one who offered to help.

I bought from Milos and he was fine. he is simply seling the top piece only, and he is selling good quality tops that probably fell off of a truck! more than likely he bought a shitload from a manufactor at a deep discount and is moving them for a reasonable profit margain.

BUT i would still do white, any other color would look wierd IMO. then you need to use a GOOD quality treatment to keep the vinyl fresh

Ok so still have not found out if anyone has used Milo's or not ? I called the guy....seems like a cuban with a body shop. I would not buy from him due to his prices being way below other people.

What about JCwhitney ?

Thanks

You need to call JCWhitney. They don't offer CS vert tops online, however I have seen and heard about the tops from them and they are near perfect and the material is choice. They have every different color under the sun and they offer tops with a LIFETIME warranty. When I get a replacement, I will go with that. Hopefully, the company makes it for ours. If they don't, I bet if enough of us call, we can get them to start making it.

I even do interiors. Sew leather myself. I still would use them. The price is sub-300 without the window. If your rear window glass is still good, I highly recommend you re-use it. With the top out of the car, I understand the glass is very easy to fit and mount. Once you have it hanging on the car, it is near impossible.

You can get the service manual vol 1&2 on ebay for around $30. If you are handy at all, I understand this takes about 3 to 4 days to do and that is if you work slow and diligently. A pro can do one in a few hours. I would guess it would take me 2 to 3 days and less if I actually read the manual twice before I started.

I am a DIY guy and the only thing I will pay someone else to do is the paint, tires and windshield. Everything else is mine, baby!

I have a triple white...but what color is the top ?

Bone white, Oxford white... or what ?

Thanks....wanna order the top....but I dont know the color....and now I will have to clean the back window bottom part.....so it looks white...any suggestions ?

What about JCwhitney ?

Thanks

You need to call JCWhitney. They don't offer CS vert tops online, however I have seen and heard about the tops from them and they are near perfect and the material is choice. They have every different color under the sun and they offer tops with a LIFETIME warranty. When I get a replacement, I will go with that. Hopefully, the company makes it for ours. If they don't, I bet if enough of us call, we can get them to start making it.

I even do interiors. Sew leather myself. I still would use them. The price is sub-300 without the window. If your rear window glass is still good, I highly recommend you re-use it. With the top out of the car, I understand the glass is very easy to fit and mount. Once you have it hanging on the car, it is near impossible.

You can get the service manual vol 1&2 on ebay for around $30. If you are handy at all, I understand this takes about 3 to 4 days to do and that is if you work slow and diligently. A pro can do one in a few hours. I would guess it would take me 2 to 3 days and less if I actually read the manual twice before I started.

I am a DIY guy and the only thing I will pay someone else to do is the paint, tires and windshield. Everything else is mine, baby!

You just made me decide to do my own top. Not sure when I will get to it but if I get the manual and the video I don't see why I couldn't get it done. I have 2 verts and 1 needs a top extremely bad. It is one I am not driving right now. Guess that will be the test car and if I screw it up I'm only out a few hundred bux. I would think if I can develope and design a suspension for my car that I could put on a top.

Time will tell I guess...

see ya,

Sean

I'm not overly handy and I did my own back window and top in my garage over about 2 weeks last winter.

I had the manual and video, both of which were big helps. I also took lots of pictures.

Two places to use care - taking the nuts off the inside of the plastic trim pieces that go from behind the doors rearward to the piece with the 3rd brake light. They can be stubborn, and some may be easier to get at from inside the car then inside the trunk. I broke a post off at the rear of one, and now the trim piece will not sit flat.

Also go easy taking the bow seal off the convertible top header - mine was sticking and in my haste I ripped it across the middle and am now looking at the following one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300102466808&rd=1,1

I used a staple gun with an air compressor to put the staples in on the back window and the sail panels and it worked great.

Overall the top went on very well - I had bought the top and back window from AA Best on eBay for $329.00 US. The last time I looked on eBay, the company had no listings for the 90-95 Cutty.

If you take your time, it is hard to mess up the new top as you put it on.

I'll post a few pictures

Good luck.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

Very nice pics of that. Did you re-paint the frame? I know I am. I am also going to replace all of the velcro. My headliner actually looks to have better color than that in your picture, but I am still going to replace it. I want to re-paint the car grey or blue (kinda like your blue, actually). I will go back with the black headliner and will sew it up myself. It looks really easy. When I get mine done, I will come up with some estimates and post that up to see if y'all want to have me make one for you. At least you would get to choose color. That would be interesting to see the different color tops come in with matching headliners. I am also going to test out different insulation in the headliner to see which is better at noise reduction and temperature dispersion. Getting less noise is more important than temperature for me because this A/C rawks and it doesn't get all that cold here, but there are times when my radio gets drowned out by the damn tractor-trailers during rush-hour.

Very nice pics of that. Did you re-paint the frame? I know I am. I am also going to replace all of the velcro. My headliner actually looks to have better color than that in your picture, but I am still going to replace it. I want to re-paint the car grey or blue (kinda like your blue, actually). I will go back with the black headliner and will sew it up myself. It looks really easy. When I get mine done, I will come up with some estimates and post that up to see if y'all want to have me make one for you. At least you would get to choose color. That would be interesting to see the different color tops come in with matching headliners. I am also going to test out different insulation in the headliner to see which is better at noise reduction and temperature dispersion. Getting less noise is more important than temperature for me because this A/C rawks and it doesn't get all that cold here, but there are times when my radio gets drowned out by the damn tractor-trailers during rush-hour.

I didn't repaint the frame, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have taken the time to do so. I would be curious as to how you make out in regards to headliners and insulation.

Also go easy taking the bow seal off the convertible top header - mine was sticking and in my haste I ripped it across the middle and am now looking at the following one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300102466808&rd=1,1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-95-Oldsmobile-Cutlass-Convertible-Weather-Stripping_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33685QQihZ010QQitemZ200102261978QQrdZ1

Cheaper one and I've dealt with Steve. Stand up guy.

Isn't this weatherstripping the part that had three variations??? I sent him a question asking what year it came off of, or for a GM part number

I have a 94 red cutlass with dark gray interior and a white top and just ordered a charcoal grey canvas top and rear glass with defroster for $600.00 from a local interior shop. It's a custom order so it will take 10 days to receive it. I plan on installing it my self and was reading this forum for hints so I don't screw it up. I had a hard time deciding on the color but what ever color canvas it is will definitely look beter than the vinal. The darker/charcoal gray will be cooler in the summer and I might try to match the rims with dark gray or granit powdercoat. I will post pictures when it's complete.

I have a 94 red cutlass with dark gray interior and a white top and just ordered a charcoal grey canvas top and rear glass with defroster for $600.00 from a local interior shop. It's a custom order so it will take 10 days to receive it. I plan on installing it my self and was reading this forum for hints so I don't screw it up. I had a hard time deciding on the color but what ever color canvas it is will definitely look beter than the vinal. The darker/charcoal gray will be cooler in the summer and I might try to match the rims with dark gray or granit powdercoat. I will post pictures when it's complete.

Where is local?