Need to buy a new convertible top for my Cutty Supreme

sunny_8

Guy, and maybe the smart girls,

I want to replace my convertible top. Need advice on the following :

1. Where to purchase ? Online ?

2. Extra things that should be changed ? ie side cables ?

3. Difficulty and time it took.

If you remember prices etc..that will help. I am in Chicago..and want to finish it before the summer comes....

thanks,

T

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crazy K

• sunny_8

• 2CUTTYS

• jeremy

I have seen them on E-bay and on a previous discussion by a company in florida that also makes the boot covers. $155 shipped for the top around $220 fopr the boot. WOW!

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34691&highlight=convertible+boot

and the link contained within:

http://stores.ebay.com/MILOS-AUTO-INTERIORS_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

If you have a white top now, stay white. I wouldn't reccommend trying to do it yourself, seeing how I couldnt even find a decent shop around here that wasn't skeptical about doing it. If you have lots of experience, maybe, but only then. I've heard some bad horror stories of wasted time and money.

I would stay triple white.

I think that Milos place linked by Crazy K used to sell Cutlass tops for $135.

I personally would attempt it myself, but I also have extra cars so it wouldn't be a big deal if it took a long time to do, or if I screwed up and couldn't drive it for awhile. The service manual does have step-by-step instructions on replacing the top.

I personally would attempt it myself, but I also have extra cars so it wouldn't be a big deal if it took a long time to do, or if I screwed up and couldn't drive it for awhile. The service manual does have step-by-step instructions on replacing the top.

Glad i;m not alone. i need top buy a new top before i go to Indy where mine is stored.

I want to know. Has ANYONE ever bought a top from these people and been happy?

p.s. and did you replace it yourself or have a shop do?

good point....if it wasn't a daily I might consider attempting to install it....that way there is no time crunch to finish

2CUTTYS, got pics of the bad boot for your car?

installed preferably?

I am curious to see pics too.....what are you comparing the fit to? the factory boots weren't a great fit either :shrug:

$235 for a cloth top? I'll bet that doesn't include the glass rear window and defroster or new cables and pads. When I looked up prices I found three different kinds. Pinpoint vinyl (stock)l Sailcloth (vinyl that kind of looks like cloth) and Canvas. The pinpoint was cheapest followed by sailcloth, then the canvas.

Here's the link:

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cgi-local/displaycat.cgi?cat=501

They seem to have the best inventory that I could find. Plus you can check out the appearances of the tops.

I LOVE the idea of a canvas top, but man is it pricey! Mine is getting a new top this Spring, I'm gonna put a black top on there, I hate the white one.

a cloth top would look great on the cuttys......that is on thing I hated about the stang 'vert I had...a $30k car and it had a vinyl top....my Spyder has a cloth top and it looks much nicer....

which last longer under abuse cloth or vinyl?

I don't really know :shrug:...I have had four convertibles: a '91 Capri, '01 Mustang GT, '01 Z3, and my Spyder, two vinyl tops, two cloth tops...I never abused any of them though

I think the cloth/canvas tops are better, and more durable, but I'm not positive about that. I do know they look a lot better.

Yeah, I think the $235 cloth top didn't have the backglass, but I don't really think it's necessary. They are easy to install with some urethane windshield adhesive.

Ok so still have not found out if anyone has used Milo's or not ? I called the guy....seems like a cuban with a body shop. I would not buy from him due to his prices being way below other people.

What about JCwhitney ?

Thanks