replacing a rear wheel speed sensor?

Guest TurboSedan

Isn't the whel speed sensor built into the hub?

On the front I think it's just a sensor on the knuckle, but the rear is built in.

This is the case on my girlfriend's 93 Cavy, and I think it is the same for W's

:shrug: I can't remember, haven't looked under my STE in a while.

Try to find them used.

They are the same for all ABS w's 1990-1996. Only the Master cylinder changed, hubs remained unchanged.

New ones are gonna be around $120 a pop most likely.

Guest TurboSedan

yeah i am going to get them from the same ABS equipt '94 Cutlass i got my calipers from a few days ago. considering he sold me the calipers & related hardware for $15 i can probably get both rear hubs and knuckles for around $40. thank god for cheap U-pull-it junkyards :)

btw, i priced a new hub at Checker today and they wanted ~170 IIRC :shock:

Guest TurboSedan

well i just pulled the rear hub and found that the ABS sensor is actuatly seperate from the hub. it's sort of like a dust cap that presses onto the back side of the hub after you pull the hub out of the knuckle. the ABS sensor/rear dustcap thing has 3 numbers on printed on the inside:

- GE118

i think the 467 might be the part #? i hope so anyway; the hub itself is still good.

i'll get some pics of the ABS sensor and the rear hub.

Guest TurboSedan

well i went to NAPA and the GM dealership and they both said it is not available seperately :? so i think i'm just going to get another ABS sensor from the j/y and put it on my hub.

those hubs sure can be a bitch to pull out of the knuckle.

I think I got two used rear hub assemblies for $40 or so. It takes about 30 minutes to jack the car up, remove the wheel, and swap the hub if you're quick. Having the right tools is critical though.

Tim

Guest TurboSedan

yeah i actually had the rear hub off a few days ago. i just had to remove the caliper & caliper bracket and then it was 4 10mm bolts. i'm just about to head down to the j/y in Douglas to one.

Guest TurboSedan

i got a good rear hub with ABS sensor/pigtail and 2 good lower strut bolts (since i messed mine up) out of a '94 Cutlass today, also scored a good rear brake hose and a nice Grand Prix passenger side front door window switch all for $15 at the junkyard today :thumbsup:

tomarrow i should finally be able to get the rear brakes and sway bar finished up. i have the Addco bar in place but i still need to figure out if i'm going to use the Addco hardware or GM hardware. i'll get some pics up.

i should have the front end done with Intrax springs and bigger '96 brakes very early February. so yeah....the car is going to have stinkbug stance for a little while until i can order the FFP coilovers (hopefully March). i should be driving the car within a month if everything works out.