What is broken/worn and is causing this sound??

1990lumina

This all started last year in winter, I was driving along and I hit the edge of the man hole in the road (like the ice on the road was 3-4" higher then the man hole)...anyway I heard a nice BANG!, but I thought nothing of it...

The rest of the year I had started to hear a faint tapping sound from the trunk area, but decided it was just shit in my trunk bouncing up and down.

Then of course we hit summer, the roads were half ass (pot holes everywhere, but smoother none the less)...and I stopped hearing the sound - less bumps in the road = shit in trunk not bouncing everymore.

When the last month or so I've started hearing this tapping sound again, but again I thought shit in the trunk.

The last few weeks I've been taking some back country roads, and the ice ruts seem to have really brought out this tapping/banging sound.

So I thought, well WTF, so today after school I took everything out of the trunk, including the carpet and spare tire/jack...and went onto some rough roads, banging is still there.

So this says my hypothesis about shit in the trunk rattling is wrong....so what have I worn out or broken??

I know the sound is definately coming from the right said, because everytime I drive over something with the right tire I here a bang, bang, bang...

I made a shoter video featuring these banging sounds, and I'm sorry to 56k users, but the file is 8.7mb even on the lowest setting on my digital camera.

http://media.putfile.com/Dscn0865

Please listen to the sounds in the video (I know it's a little loud with other road noise, my exhaust, and my hand making the mic on the camera "click"....

What does everyone think my problem is??

It is on my 1990 Lumina Euro 3.1 w/ 90k miles

If I have a general idea of what is wrong I'll call around to a few shops and see what their pricing is like. And how long do you think I can drive around like this??

Thanks guys!

Hmm...since I really don't know shit about suspension I can go outside and take pictures of it...though most of the components of ice and shit on them.....I don't have anything hanging down like that....Could it be a bushing or anything worn? I know it will only do this on certain types of terrane, and at certain speeds as well.

Thanks for the pictures :D...I'll look more into it tonight if I can find a trouble light or tomorrow

Any other things, or would this be the only thing??

Mine didn't hang down either. The car was on jacks in that pic.

Just go out there with a flashlight and take a quick look at the two bars that run from front to back. Not too difficult to locate.

trailingarm.jpg

It's the rusty ass thing circled in red. That pic was taken a few weeks before it snapped, btw. :lol:

EDIT: better pic:

taril2.jpg

I swear mine sounded just about identical to that. Otherwise maybe upper strut mount broken?

Video isn't working for me, so I'm gonna say strut mounts. Mine made a banging noise that got progressively louder as the mount got more and more worn out resulting in this:

mount.jpg

If your struts don't have any charge left in them, then this is the fate you've resigned yourself to if you don't change out the struts and mounts soon:

strut1.jpg

My old regal sounded just like that. Mine, it was the front pass side strut mount bushing that was shot. As for how long you can go like that, well, it started making this noise back in 98' :shock: And it is still on the car today :lol: Honestly, it never affected handling or ride at all. But, i would get it checked over just to be on the safe side

Thanks guys...I'll book an appointment for the end of January at semester turn around....I'll go take a look at those trailing arms tomorrow (I gotta take the car underground and melt the ice off, or wash the car)....

I might guess the strut mounts just because to me, it sounds like something is hitting against right by the seat belt in the back seat....thoughI will take a look at those trailing arms just to be safe. And I guess I won't go into the country when it's rough until I get things looked at...I'm guessing I've already fucked the strut, however handling hasn't been sacrificed or anything that I've noticed...the ride is still good as well (well as good as it ever was with a full tank of fuel).

Why take it to a shop to get the rear struts replaced when you can follow IntlCutlass's fabulous write-up and save yourself some $$$ ?

It's really not that hard to change out the struts (both front and rear) on these cars at all. You can change them out using simple handtools and a "cheater bar." After I finally got my hands dirty and changed mine out, I wondered why I waited so long to do it...

I might guess the strut mounts just because to me, it sounds like something is hitting against right by the seat belt in the back seat....thoughI will take a look at those trailing arms just to be safe.

Well with mine, part of the trailing arm was slapping the frame, and it sounded like it was coming from the same region as yours. Dont count it out yet. :lol:

And whether it's a trailing arm, or a strut, I really think you can handle doing it yourself. Having done both, I'd say it's pretty elementary stuff. And you'll never get any better with cars unless you get out there and try. :wink:

True that.....well once I inspect what is going on I'll post back and I'm sure you guys will be able to help....

If the problem is a trailing arm, where would I go for a new one?? Or is it a junkyard item??

As for struts, if the right side one is shot, I'll replace both rear ones, but what is a decent strut that will give me the same type of ride?? I don't really feel like lowering this car since it will turn out to be my winter car soon, and yeah, I like the current ride it has right now...

Like Monroe or what?? Something cheaper, but still decent

GMPP sells them in pairs for 97-03 GPs, and they will work fine. I didn't want to change the other one so I just bought one new GM part for 40 or so bucks. DONT get a JY one. It's really not worth the time.

I'd go SensaTracs on the struts if you want a decent ride. My GR2s are pretty harsh, especially in winter. I dont mind it all that much, but you might.

Get a set of the less-expensive Monroes and you should be good to go. If I were you, I'd change out the front cartridges at the same time. They can be changed out without removing the wheels, straight up through the strut towers under the hood. They're actually easier to change than the rear struts :wink: .

I know why I couldn't see the video when I was at work! My PC doesn't have the QuickTime player installed :lol: .

So yeah, saw the video (love the saddle blanket seat covers, BTW :thumbsup: ) and it sounds exactly like my Regal did when the strut mount let loose. I didn't have very long before it completely took a shit, but the fact that my struts didn't have any charge left in them is what actually caused my mishap. Actually, the noise your car's making is what it sounded like when it first started going bad. After a couple of days, it started banging loudly and riding like an old wagon.

Right before I "limped" my Regal over to my new house when I moved (well after the mount let loose,) I rammed the strut's piston back up into the mount and clamped it on top (inside the trunk) with a ViceGrips so I could at least drive it...

i had similar stuff happening with my old 81 regal, i could have sworn it was suspension related and with all the digging around and replacing it did it was still there, turned out after ALOT of diging that there was a small rock stuck in between the tank strap and the top of my gas tank!!! i dont know how the hell it made so much fukkin noise but once i got it out of there the sound was gone...

:shrug: might be worth a look

I cant watch the video either...fuck apple. anywho, does it sound like a wump wump wump wump wump? that gets louder and softer randomly? my trailing arms are fully intact, and it still makes that rear noise. my shocks are all new too...sorry to hijack

and to top it all off, my car bottoms out everytime someone sits in the back (and no theyre not heavily overweight!) anyone think its that mounting thing?

Drive it to edmonton, and i will do it with ya,

GMPP trailing arms are alot more expensive for us canadians, so i think getting a decent trailing arm from a j/y may be an option, however they will all be in horrible shape. Go with monroes from cantire, wait for there deals, 4 for 2 or 2 for 1. keep your recipt for the warranty too!!!

Drive down to edmonton and gimmie a shout. Should take a couple hours, then you can drive home. If your car falls apart on the way back its not my fault!!! :lol:

A decent shop shoulnt charge more than 500- 800, however many places were quoting 1000-1200 for just the rear. Thank god i did it my self for 100 bucks (cost of monroe struts)

I changed my mind and I'm gonna ask my friend dad (mechanic)....he will tell me what to do if he has no time, or he can help if he has time....those quotes are worth half of what this car is lol...he can lend me the necessary tools (if there is anything special I need, like for the front do you need a compression tool)...

Anyway, I made another video of the right trailing arm and myself bouncing the car up and down....when I watch it is appears the trailing arm is intact...

So I'll go over to my friend's place this weekend for a diagonosis, I'm guessing a mount is worn or broken.,

To get the front cartridges out, you'll need to rent the "W-Body Front Strut Removal Tool" kit from your local auto parts store. No need to compress the spring at all, the cartridges and mounts are removed through the top of the strut towers. The special tool kit contains everything (sans a socket set) you need to get the cartridges changed out.

All you need for the rears is a socket set, a hammer (preferably a small sledge) and a long pipe to slide on to the end of your ratchet for more leverage. Follow the write-up in the FAQ section and you'll be golden...

Go to partsource to rent the front strut cartridge tool, 24mm deep socket for the rear struts and 15mm for the top mounts. Pick up a breaker bar. See if they rent a floor jack, you'll need an extra one.

To remove breaks n rotor on rear u need 12mm for caliper bolts and 18mm wrench for caliper braket. 10mm for brake hose bracket.

Good luck and enjoy.

So I need to remove the rear brakes then??

I have all the tools except the front strut cartiage tool....I just don't have the balls to tear into my car that much lol

I didn't remove the brakes on my car at all. Of course I have a 95, so maybe the 88-93 rear brakes need to be removed :shrug: . I kinda doubt it, though.

Read the write-up in the FAQ section already! :bash: All of your questions will be answered within...