thud noise from left rear side

93euro

yesterday, when I was at work (delivering pizza), I began to hear a thud/knocking noise coming from the rear of the car. it seems to be coming from the driver's side, and it makes this noise when any time i go over a relatively large bump or dip in the road. it also makes noise when making a LEFT turn, but not when i make a RIGHT turn. any ideas? i think these shitty East Toledo roads are beginning to take a toll on old lum :oops: .

my dad's car is doing the same thing although the strut and strut mount are brand new...just put some washers under the bolt heads (they are not stock bolts) this morning and it still does it...

Ours doesn't do it on left turns, but the suspension jumps around violently when it hits potholes...its only the driver's side rear suspension.

inspect everything. puch upa nad donw onf the car and listen for the noise location... jack it up and take the wheel off.... inspect everything.... lateral stabilizer bars, trailing arm (I saw a regal with one whose body had rusted and the front body mount area of the trailing arm had seperated from the body!

I had such a clunk once, it was because the rear sway bar had pulled out of it;s mount on the strut.

My clunking is bad rear struts. Prior to this was a broken trailering arm (both freakin sides went at 2 different times)... Friend's 93 Regal the other night we broke the strut mount... Best guess is to jack the car up, inspect for anything that looks broken...and if nothing does, it's the struts or maybe a dry bushing.

My car is making the same Clunk / Thud sound. I have a bad strut, it is leaking. I am going to go ahead and redo all of my struts and whatnot :bash: should be interesting lol.

anyone have any good tips on how to replace these in my 91 Lumina Euro?

anyone have any good tips on how to replace these in my 91 Lumina Euro?

Check the FAQ section:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32934

Here's what can happen if you neglect a worn out upper strut mount:

strut1.jpg

mount.jpg

dsstrut.jpg

The piston completely slid out of the mount and caused the wheel to lean out sideways when I took a right turn.

Be sure to replace the mounts when you replace the struts!!!

FALSE ALARM!!! lol. strut? strut mount? naw! turns out the brake line that runs to the passenger's side rear wheel became detached from the undercarriage of the car over by that left wheel. this caused it to slam into the underside of the car when i went over a bump. i ghetto-rigged it with a sponge to soften the noise, and its all good now! thanks for the help anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to replace a rear strut mount in my 92 z34. What special tool do i have to use to hold the monoleaf spring in place while pulling the strut out to replace the strut mount?

I have to replace a rear strut mount in my 92 z34. What special tool do i have to use to hold the monoleaf spring in place while pulling the strut out to replace the strut mount?

A floor jack...no kidding

just put the floor jack under the trailing arm and support it slightly and all will be fine while you are changing the struts