Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i bought some Raybestos PG Plus pads for my TSTE today. they came in two versions - ceramic and semi-metallic. i bought the semi-metallic pads.

however, a few years ago i bought Raybestos PG Plus pads for my Cutlass and the pads had a red backing plate. what kind of PG Plus pads have the red backing? they work well on my Cutlass so i wanted the same ones. the pads i bought today were $50, a little more than i was expecting. i'm kinda tempted to take them back and try buying them from Advance instead, but maybe i'm just being picky. or maybe these are the same pads and Raybestos simply stopped using the red paint?

fwiw, i also got some cheapo NAPA TruStop rotors, which were $25 each. i have the cheap rear rotors on my Cutlass too and never had a problem with them. hopefully i can get this '94+ conversion done soon, but i still need to get to the j/y and get some calipers and brackets/bolts.

These were the PG Plus pads I bought for the Regal:

brakestuff.jpg

I'm certain they are organic, and neither ceramic nor semi-metallic. The only reason I've ever bought PG Plus pads is because I asked for organic the first time I purchased Raybestos pads.

FWIW, the Raybestos ceramic line is called "Quiet-Stop."

Also, my PG Plusses were powdercoated black.

calafter.jpg

Now that I think of it, 6 or 7 years ago I bought a set of PG Plus pads for my old Crapalier and they were powdercoated red. Not sure when they switched to the black powdercoating :shrug: ...

Guest TurboSedan

ah, that's what i was thinking. my brother has bought PG Plus pads for his cars and some of them came in red and some in black.

the part# for the pads i just bought is PGD376M and they say 'semi-metallic' on the box.

the ceramic ones were also in a PG Plus box but were part# PGD376C.