94 Buick Regal: Eight Speakers, no waiting?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Eight. I'm impressed, but how did they get this to work? I know the factory amp probably works as a crossover as well, but when we dig into the car tomorrow, how many can I keep? Only 4? or is there a way short of a crossover I can get all eight working?

if i'm seeing the diagram correctly, there is no external amp in your car. the dash speakers and door speakers run off the two front channels. that's six speakers. the rear speakers, obviously, run off their own channels.

i assume you're putting in an aftermarket head unit? i guess it doesn't really matter. you should have only4 speaker channels to hook up... along with power ground memory, ets.

8?? Mine 89 has Concert sound II and there is only 6 :? 2 in each door, and 2, 2 way 6x9's in the back. I know in mine that the dash has the speaker grills and the pods, but they are empty.

perhaps it changed between 89 and 94. alldata shows 8 speakers... :shrug:

umm... the 94 CS had a amplifier with the stock 6 speaker setup.... (I have a 95 CS amp and was able to verfy that the 95 CS and 95 Regal models with external factory amps use the same amp) Thus the 94 Regal and CS should have the same amp. and sound setup.

There is a tweater and standard 4x6(aproximatly) for each front, but the rear.... Is a dual rear, with a tweeter in the center of a 6x9 'subwoofer'. The subwoofer is fed from the ampo, all others are fed from the radio.

I have used the stock olds 88/98 Concert Surround Series II speakers in one of my cars with success, without the use of an amp....

Thats a tweeter and 6" round front with a 6x9 rear.... I notice these speakers have much heavier looking magnets than the basic stock speakers, or even the deluxe tweeter and 6'inch round speaker of my 95 CS.

More speaker swapa/upgrades to follow as i have four sets extra CSS II picked up at a j/y to play with.

i know about the cs audio comonents. i'm using them in my gp. and in all the diagrams i've prerused in alldata, if there is and amp it's labeled. there is not on labeled in the regal radio diagrams.

where did you get your info? i'll check some other years besides 94 and see if there is an amp included anywhere

Guest Anonymous

Wow. I learn new stuff. I have the Concert Sound II labeled on my speaker grills. So... am I mislabeling something?

Two in Dash

Two in Upper Door

Two in Lower Door (Iffy, without a panel tool)

Two in Back Deck

It had (as in out now) a Radio and tape deck. Not sure if the deck works, but the radio has that volume knob malfunction that renders it useless.

ok. Yu have more info on it that me. I have a 94 CS and a 95 CS.

I cross referenced the part number from an amp I have from j/y 95 CS through gm parts, and it told me what it fit.

I also have a factory manual for a 94 CS found in a junk car. it has the wiring diagrams for the radio. (p.s. both with and without an amp)

well i know the small gray delco amp will swap between cutlass and grand prix. i've had four of them, three from cutties and 1 from a96 gp.

now if i'm not mistaken, the regal didn't get an updated interior until 95, so they probably didn't even have a place to mount the amp until then, you know?

the ones in the dash should be tweeters only.

the 94 CS has it's tweeters in the dash. Honkin hugh tweeter mounted in a 4x4 black plastic frame. (10 ohm)

the 95 CS uses 2x2 little dinky tweeters (they are mounted to door panel) (4 ohm)

the 93 regal(I assume same as 94), which i found the tweeter set in has them mounted in the door, they are behind a louved piece of woodgrain, ( just ahead of the door handel IIRC), there appear to be 3 inch round, and are glued to a piece of plastic that is held to the door with two bolts (no visible writing, I measure 9 ohm)

the 95 Regal uses the same 2x2 little dinky tweeters as the 95 CS(they are mounted to door on the same plastic struture that holds the 6" round primary. (4 ohm)

the 88/98 Olds tweeters are round 3 inchers.

I have also tried some tweeters from a 95 Riveria. about 3" square. (4ohm IIRC) These sounded better and are now in my 95 CS with adapters I made to srew into the former 2x2 mounting location.

Guest Anonymous

Finished. :D :D

1. The amp in the 94 Regal GS Two door is under the right side of the glove box. It is a bear to remove. Mine's still there.

2. All the speakers work. Fine. Loudly. Good Bass.

3. The Crutchfield diagrams are off a... bit.

3a. Their cubbyhole replacement won't fit without a dremel. Use Force.

3b. "Stereo Remote Accessory" means "Antenna Power Lead"

3c. You will need a male spade connector for that.

3d. You will need two grounds, and two power sources.

So, somewhere around page four the instructions kinda veered off. We had enough ideas by that point to wing it and make it work. It's in, the XM channel is working fine, and the CD player has no problems.

My only two problems at this point are that the radio still isn't flush, and the location I hid the XM box isn't hidden well at all. It works, however!

the 95 Regal uses the same 2x2 little dinky tweeters as the 95 CS(they are mounted to door on the same plastic struture that holds the 6" round primary. (4 ohm)

rtdoor1.jpg

rfact1.jpg

comparo.jpg

6" stock woofer? :lol: :lol: :lol: (That's a 6.5 on the left.)

Okay, so is this the 95 Regal's amp, then?

underdash.jpg

I thought it might be the BCM (since my 95 GP had it as well,) but I never got around to looking up what it actually controlls, so I have no clue what purpose it serves.

diso, that's the diagnostic/energy reserve module (DERM). it serves as a SRS computer. no 1st gen w's that i know of got a bcm (body control module). also, did you unplug a connector to get that out, or was it already unplugged? they should both be plugged in

Ironghost, are you sure the "amp" in the right side of the glove box isn't actually a radio receiver? don't 94 and older regals have the component stereos like 89 grand prixs got? i know in 89 grand prixs, the radio receiver itself was somewhere behind the glove box and the radio control head was in the center of the dash.

edit: if your "amp" looks like this, then it's definitely the radio receiver unit

regalreceiver.jpg

discostudd, your amp is on the RIGHT side of the steering column and to the left of the radio. if you take off the panel underneath the steering column and look on the flat part of the underside of the dash, you will see two light gray tabs sticking through slots. that is the amp.

if you still can't find it, just take off the black trim around the i/p, take out the radio, and look at the harnees that splices off of it to the left. that's the amp connector.

Guest Anonymous

depending on where that's located, you may be right. I did have that funky Square Box in the dash. So... if I've just unhooked the actual tuner, does this mean all those wires are still running through the amp?

if so, that'd explain the loudness.

Okay, so is this the 95 Regal's amp, then?

underdash.jpg

I thought it might be the BCM (since my 95 GP had it as well,) but I never got around to looking up what it actually controlls, so I have no clue what purpose it serves.

it is the bcm.

The 95 amp on the CS will be located to the right of the column, and I saw the same mounting holes in a regal w/o amp (the holes are there in the CS, amp or not, so I assume the same for the regal) Two trapoziodal holes to the right of the steering column along the bottom of the dash, but left of the ashtray's location, they are hidden by the colored kickpad beneath the column, which you have removed in the photo above.

remember, it has the cooling fins! very easy to recognize!

yeah the holes will be there regardless of whether he has ana amp or not.

and that's not a bcm. it's a DERM, a diagnostic energy reserve module. 1st gen ws didn't get a bcm (body control module). the electronic brake control module , EBCM, is under the driver's side front fender

Aah, so that's where they hide the driver's side DERM. I know the passenger side DERM sits under the passenger seat, FWIW.

I remember hearing that the "delayed interior illumination" was handled by the headlight switch, so that leads credence to the "no BCM" statement. Or I should say, the headlight switch contains the electronics that handle the "delayed interior illumination." :lol:

I don't remember seeing any other "module" mounted next to the steering column on the right side (but it's been a while since I had everything "unearthed.") Not like it matters if my car had a factory amp or not, 'cause it's bypassed now anyway! :lol:

my bad. bcm= Body control Module. Thats what I thought it was.

Yeah the EBCM electronic brake control module is hidden in gap of front fender, visable if inner fenderwell removed.

On the Power master III equipped cars, btw, the ecbm is located beneath the passenger seat.