how i spent my tuesday night...

White93z34

while leaveing work today i heard a familiar grind, i got out looked through the wheel at the brake pad, next to nothing left. argh.. so this time no messing around, everyhting got replaced. put the back of the car on jackstands, pulled off both callipers, went to autozone. 2 new callipers, 2 new rotors and a set of pads later, the car stops far more evenly then it has been.

and after all this i better be able to get more then 10,000 out of a set of pads and rotors back there.

PC270017.JPG

PC270018.JPG

yay! :roll:

a little late, but:

http://www.tpsgarage.com/TGP/brakes/rear_brake_upgrade.htm

thats what I would have done.

Hey... Thats what warranties are for! I took all the brake parts I had bought back to autozone and got more credit back than what I paid for the new parts! OMIGOD!!!!

(The new parts were brand new parts from a j/y off a freshly brake-jobbed car... you have 10,000 miles to find a good 94+set by my method)

(The old parts had taken a complete shiit, btw)

while i'm well aware of the 94+ brake setup, i don't want to go through a large hastle to make my parking brake work, and the callipers were free (gotta love lifetime waranty) and i'm thinking now that i finally replaced everything at once, and its ALL brand new that i might have a good chance at making it all last. and hell now i'm running lifetime pads, so only thing i gotta pay for anymore is rotors to the tune of $10 a side.

yea, the 88-93 rear brakes are now updated with stainless sliders, and they dont suffer the same problems, and i doubt they really help braking, and the hasstle with the parking brake would turn me off. My car stops just fine, i have old as rears and new front tho, the rears are rusty as hell but oh well the work good still, lol, ill replace them someday

I got 45,000 kms out of my rear brakes (88-93 style) when I replaced everything all at once (calipers, pads, rotors). Changed just the pads and rotors 10K ago, so now I have 55,000 kms on my rear calipers, and they still work great.

the warrantied calipers I had had the pistons sieze up and when someone used the parking brake they locked tight and would not release. The slides were still good when removed. They showed signs of being bad after only a year and a half. By Two years the parking brake was screwed. I think the upgrade makes one hell or a difference on both of my cars.

Plus once you get the parking brake working they actually will hold your car where as the original 93- one just generated resistance, even with all new parts.

I think the job was relatively easy, anyhow.

i've never had a problem with my parking brake not holding the car in place, mines seemed to work quite nicely. just getting it to release has been a problem of the past, that i hope has gone away now, what kills me is both callipers i pulled off had not even 10,000 on either of them

I got 50,000 out of mine, but I was still pissed. 3/4 of the pads were still left... Not to mention that I didn't even use up a full front pad set in the same time!

btw, I think the rotor warpage that some people say the front rotors get mostly likely happens when the rears are so crapped out that they basicslly don't contribute to the car stopping anymore...

I've never had a warped rotor!

Hey man I feel your pain! The first weekend of May is my annual replace the rear brakes weekend. Its been that way since 2000. Been through 4 left rear calipers and 5 right rear calipers and 3 sets of E-brake cables since I've owned the car. I am determinded to get through a full year on the rears, I've been cranking the E-brake every day - 3 times in the morning and 3 when I get home from work. I globed anti seize grease all over the E-brake cables and calipers. Are you at the point where it takes longer to gather the tools to do the job than it does to take it all apart and put back together?

Guest donkeykongrape

speaking of parking brakes, does anyone know of an easy way to load the damn brake cable on the calipers? It's always a FREAKING hassle for me to push that darn spring back and set it on the caliper! What's your guys's secret?

BTW, when you take off the e-brake assebly to push the piston back down into the bore, (you are supposed to do that, right?), does it mess anything up if you accidentally twist that screw that's sticking out the back of the caliper?

I'm talking about the 88-93 style rear calipers

I still will never run a W-body with the '88-'93 rear brakes...my '94 has brakes that work SO much better than the ones on our '90 Quad 4 CS (has BRAND NEW rear calipers/pads/rotors) and the Quad4 is a 5-speed manual so I thought it would stop better just as a result of that.

I guess the only other difference between the two cars is that my car is running new $18.88 rotors and a set of Napa Brute Stop pads and the Quad has some fairly old rotors and what appears to be the Advance brand pads.