Changing Fuel Filter......how do I do it?..........DONE

AWeb80

I got a new filter now (WIX), I just need to know how to relieve the fuel pressure and take the lines off.....

can I just run the car and then pull the fuel pump fuse and let it run out of gas to relieve the pressure?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't even relieve the pressure...just loosen the side with the steel line on slowly and it will bleed the pressure off...then remove the side with the quick connect.

I would be PB Blastering the living crap out of it for a few days before i'd go take it off...I've actually twisted the line because the tube nut wouldn't release and had to go buy a line repair kit at Napa.

I don't even relieve the pressure...just loosen the side with the steel line on slowly and it will bleed the pressure off...then remove the side with the quick connect.

I would be PB Blastering the living crap out of it for a few days before i'd go take it off...I've actually twisted the line because the tube nut wouldn't release and had to go buy a line repair kit at Napa.

yes, replacing fuel filters is fun fun fun :D

94Cutlass, this is what mine looked like. I also had to replace part of the fuel line.

HPIM0636highlighted.jpg

its pretty easy, U need 2 wrenches, one on the Fuel filter hex and one on the line, to relive it, I went under the car on the drivers side, next to the tank theres a plug, thats the electrical plug for the pump, undid it, and ran the car till it died, cranked it a couple of times to get what was left out, and i only had a couple of drops of gas come out, but DO NOT cross the line(s)

The gas cap doesnt do anything i hope you know, Theres a check valve in the Fuel rail and in the fuel pump at keep pressure in the rail and in the lines between the rail and the pump, thats why u run it dry

The gas cap doesnt do anything i hope you know, Theres a check valve in the Fuel rail and in the fuel pump at keep pressure in the rail and in the lines between the rail and the pump, thats why u run it dry

You're supposed to remove the gas cap to remove the pressure on that end, doesn't really matter though.

on the fuel rail, but i wouldnt do it that way, because it makes a mess all over, just unplug the fuse for the fuel pump and run it, then crank it a few times after it stalls to get what evers left

the gas cap thing Cant work, its impossible! We just learned in auto how the whole fuel system works on cars with electric fuel pumps, and Theres a check valve in the pump that holds pressure and on in the fuel rail to hold pressure between the 2, thats why its best to either use the sharader valve or run it dry by unplugging the fuel pump, unless your pump is severly worn or somthing and the valve is broken or cant hold pressure it cant work by taking off the gas cap, also, theres a Vent inside the tank that vents pressure as the tank expands or contracts from heat, cold and trhe fuel leaving the tank, another reason the gas cap wouldnt work in "holding 40-60psi worth of fuel pressure"

on the fuel rail, but i wouldnt do it that way, because it makes a mess all over, just unplug the fuse for the fuel pump and run it, then crank it a few times after it stalls to get what evers left

just put a rag over the valve and press/hold it .....very little mess at all and the pressure will be relieved....

just put a rag over the valve and press/hold it .....very little mess at all and the pressure will be relieved....

I could have sworn I just typed the same thing on the top of this page.

:lol:

unless your valve breaks and starts spraying fuel everywhere like mine did...*shudder*

the gas cap thing Cant work, its impossible! We just learned in auto how the whole fuel system works on cars with electric fuel pumps, and Theres a check valve in the pump that holds pressure and on in the fuel rail to hold pressure between the 2, thats why its best to either use the sharader valve or run it dry by unplugging the fuel pump, unless your pump is severly worn or somthing and the valve is broken or cant hold pressure it cant work by taking off the gas cap, also, theres a Vent inside the tank that vents pressure as the tank expands or contracts from heat, cold and trhe fuel leaving the tank, another reason the gas cap wouldnt work in "holding 40-60psi worth of fuel pressure"

The gas tank holds it's own pressure, that's why sometimes you hear a hiss when you take off the cap.

I could have sworn I just typed the same thing on the top of this page.

:lol:

:lol: I didn't even read page 2....I immediately hit "reply" once I saw that relieving pressure with the intended value "makes a mess all over"

You don't even have to relieve the pressure. Just crack the fuel filter slowly and it'll drain out. As long as you don't have your nose touching it with your mouth open, you'll be fine.

Done.....wow, gas in the eyes sure hurts.....:lol:

I couldn't find the schrader vavle so I just loosened the nuts and it squirted a little in my eyes.....but, I washed it out right away....everything is good.