rear end clunking after warming up?

wiley28

Hi. I have a 93 lumina and the rear-end has starting making a clunking noise. The noise starts up after the car has gone about 5 miles. It's not just when I go over a bump or turn. Does anyone have a clue what this might be? Am I going to be going down the road and my axel fall apart? I pushed on the trunk and made the car move up and down and it made the noise a couple of times. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Would the car go up and down big time over bumps if it's the struts? Is this something that can be fixed at home fairly easy or will this be a shop job? I really hope it's just the struts, I was scared it might be the axel and I really didn't want to be going down the road and it break, not a good thing.

yeah if the car just continues to be bouncy after a bump, the struts are blown

Umm if you think you can replace them, go for it the fronts are a little difficult cus you need a special tool, the rears are bad to cus the rear struts are what aligns the car too. If you do get new struts, get some KYB gr-2 struts and your car will handle awesome!

It's more than likely one of your upper strut mounts. I had one break on my Regal last year. Make sure you replace the upper mounts when you change out your rear struts.

The rear struts are fairly simple to change out. Hit up the FAQ section, there's a write-up on how to easily change them out. You can rent the front strut cartridge removal tool from any auto parts store. The front cartridges can be removed without jacking up the car.

I, too, have the KYB's installed, and they make a tremendous improvement in handling!

yep either a blown strut..or mount...but if you're gonna do the mount, might as well do the struts too

mine made that noise when one of the struts+ mounts went bad

if you dont get it fixed right away..you'll hear a BANG!!! tahts the rear wheel bouncing up and hitting the wheel well...mine did that too

yea make sure you do them yourself!!! Even when I fucking told the shop to replace my mounts, they left my old fucking mounts on there. On top of that, they broke one of my strut boots and then denied it. Well, I guess that's what you get when you let Pep Boys do it... :roll:

It's so much easier to replace the rear struts when you remove the mounts. Before you put the new struts in, attach the mount and boot to each strut so you don't have to crawl in the trunk to tighten the struts' mounting nuts...