Front end noise above 45

Intlcutlass

Latley my car has been making front end noise above 45, and gets worse the faster I go. I could have swore it was unballanced tires, but I just replaced them this week, and the problem did't go away. Allignment seems ok.

It's on my 89 Cutlass 2 door.

It is definitly something tire/bearing... something like that related.

It get louder in tune with the rpm's of the tires, but as I said, I just replaced those this week. It's like a loud vibration?

What elce should I be looking at, and how can I test?

wrong forum "enthusiast" :wink: :) did they balance them right? sometimes static balancing doesnt work so well. still sounds like tires. bearings should squeal usually. check for play by dropping the a arms on a jack stand and locking the wheel. if you feel play up and down only your ball joint is bad, but if its also side to side its the bearing. use a pry bar to help check. look at the linkages too for play side to side.

HTH

paul

wrong forum "enthusiast" :wink: :)

Blow me

:joke:

did they balance them right? sometimes static balancing doesnt work so well. still sounds like tires. bearings should squeal usually. check for play by dropping the a arms on a jack stand and locking the wheel. if you feel play up and down only your ball joint is bad, but if its also side to side its the bearing. use a pry bar to help check. look at the linkages too for play side to side.

HTH

paul

Squeal? What like metal on metal?

I'll check the rest tonight... :thumbsup:

When I searched under "noise" or "highway" , I didn't get anything...

When I searched for vibration, I saw more and more people complaining or problems that seem to have pinned it down to wheel bearings....

If I gotta do that I might as well make the 96 strut/knuckle assembly highest on my priority list becuase those will be included on the assembly....

sounds like a wheel bearing problem to me...but, what u can do is jack up one side @ a time, make sure the wheel is off the ground, get in, start the car and put it in drive...slowly accelerate and listen for the noise you're hearing on the highway...check both sides...if you hear the noise on one side or one sounds worse then the other, its prolly a wheel bearing...

sounds like a wheel bearing problem to me...but, what u can do is jack up one side @ a time, make sure the wheel is off the ground, get in, start the car and put it in drive...slowly accelerate and listen for the noise you're hearing on the highway...check both sides...if you hear the noise on one side or one sounds worse then the other, its prolly a wheel bearing...

I thought that was bad for the differential. I'd just put the car up on jack stands and do that.