Manual for a 3800 SC?

L67wanaB

Gearing up for a major project (L67 in my 93 Lumina) and I really want a 5 speed manual.

Are there any out there that will bolt up and stand up to this beast of an engine?

Anyone know what happened to Tom's Lumina Supercharged page?

the GetRag 282 from the 2.8/3.1(?) V6's from the late eighties early 90's can be modified to fit it and also built up to withstand a lot more power than the L67 puts out in stock trim. I believe some Fiero guys have them mated to V8's. I'll let someone else who is more intelligently endowed explain how to modify it or whatnot. :lol:

I think you can buy everything you need to attach an HM-282 5-speed tranny to one.

cwestco.com used to have custom-drilled flywheels to mate an HM-282 to the 3800, but cwestco seems to be gone. I'm sure you can probably find them elsewhere, though.

Thanks for the Fiero direct. I think I found a flywheel but no e-mail responses.

Anyone point me towards a beefy rebuild kit and possibly an online shop that may have more info on this?

eather tranny from a GM FWD V6 will work. the bell housing is the same. You will need the Linkage and shifter from a W-Body 5spd.

* 282 is rebuildable and easy to find (equiped on 2.8L and 3.1L V6 cavi, W-body)

* 284 is not rebuildable but is stonger then you will ever need and VERY HARD TO FIND! (only equiped w/ 1991-1993 3.4L DOHC)

RedZ

Gotta send the 284 back to Getrag in Germany!! j/k They have a branch in Detroit, MI. Wow imagine the shipping to Germany on a 180lbs tranny!! My buddy just found a 284 tranny in PA for $1000 shipped (68K). If you look hard enough they are out there and worth the hassle to beat on!

Gotta send the 284 back to Getrag in Germany!! j/k They have a branch in Detroit, MI. Wow imagine the shipping to Germany on a 180lbs tranny!! My buddy just found a 284 tranny in PA for $1000 shipped (68K). If you look hard enough they are out there and worth the hassle to beat on!

I don't think the 284 weighs 180lbs... Much lighter.. more like 80lbs.

RedZ

I've found a few 284s through car-part.com and I'm considering that as an alternative to the 282.

It's all dependant upon how much it will cost to have the detroit plant to rebuild them, should any of them need it.

Anyone have a link for that service or any contact information?

I don't even know the name of the plant to google it.

I wouldn't bother with the HM-284. I remember a few years ago a guy named Nico had a helluva time with it. Something to do with it having a pull-type clutch that caused problems.

Plus, you can't get performance parts for the HM-284 like you can for the 282.

Haha sorry yeah I dont know why I said that.. I was probably thinkin 4t60-E (stock). Yeah I've seen 80lbs dry and 93 wet or something along that weight scale. Yeah if you need any info go see the fiero guys at Pennocks Fiero Forum http://www.fiero.nl

After a bit of hunting, the only thing I really need (besides the linkage and shifter from a w-body) is a custom ground fly wheel from a V6 camaro or firebird.

Outside some custom clutches and pressure plates, I've found a limited slip diff upgrade.

Those fiero guys are nuts.

Thanks for the help.