Front end noise *update*

3pt1lumina

Okay, my mom's 03 Impala is making a clunking noise in the front end. I am posting prior to taking anything apart, but I did test drive it. If you have the car parked and turn the wheel side to side you hear a "clunking" sound. If you drive it, only when you turn the wheel do you feel it. However, you can feel vibration through the steering wheel that wasn't there before. It's not wheel/tire vibration, it's something suspension related.

The car still handles fine, but has this wierd noise. I have a few ideas:

-balljoints

-tierods

-loose caliper bolts

I will jack it up tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. Until then, does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on and potential things for me to check?

Thank God for the 3/36 warranty. :D

mine did that..when i turned the wheel and a clunk sound was heard...along with the wheel shimmy

one place quoted me for $1300 in front end work....another place said it was just the balljoints..which it turned otu to be the balljoints :D

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, my mom's 03 Impala is making a clunking noise in the front end. I am posting prior to taking anything apart, but I did test drive it. If you have the car parked and turn the wheel side to side you hear a "clunking" sound. If you drive it, only when you turn the wheel do you feel it. However, you can feel vibration through the steering wheel that wasn't there before. It's not wheel/tire vibration, it's something suspension related.

Did you figure out anything? I'm interested because my Impala does something similar to what you described. By those symptoms, my first thought was bad strut plates/mounts (I think that is what mine needs also along with new struts).

my mom's GP did that and it ended up being the front pivot thing (it looks strange!) for the lower control arm...it only did it when parked or going slow and you could feel it in the wheel.

I've heard that the Intermediate Steering Shaft goes bad. IIRC, there's a recall out, but I think it's only for the 00-02's.

Mine was replaced at just under 30K miles according to the GM warranty history report. I wonder if the replaced ones go bad eventually.

i don't know anything yet. I've been waiting for my parents to take it in for service. But yeah, if it was my car I'd have had it in already and had it fixed.

When I get info, I'll pass it along.

• 1 month later...

Discostudd, you are correct. The Intermediate Steering Shaft went bad on it. Apparently, this was a common problem from 00-05 Impalas. A local Chevy dealer fixed it and the car is smooth as silk now.

Discostudd, you are correct. The Intermediate Steering Shaft went bad on it. Apparently, this was a common problem from 00-05 Impalas. A local Chevy dealer fixed it and the car is smooth as silk now.
Was it covered under the recall, or did the warranty cover it?

Sure, if he still has the warranty then it's all the same to him. I wanted to know if he found out whether or not GM extended the recall past the 02 model year, 'cause last I heard it was for the 00-02's only. My Imp is currently out of warranty, and if the ISS goes out on me, I wanna know if I can get in on the "recall" action.

FYI... it was covered under the warranty and not the recall. Remember my mom's car is an 03... and I believe that it started going around 28k?? or so.... keep a feel out for it. I'm curious if they go bad again after being replaced?