Turbo Question

BlackMagic859

Oh, our turbos arnt ball bearing....crappy :?

Not even close! :lol:

Any turbo can be made or rebuilt with a BB setup...dual ball bearing of course is the best with ceramic bearings holding a close second.

There are T-28's with DBB...aka the Disco Potato

A high zook T3076 with a DBB also that Jud is currently using.

But you can purchase a DBB cartridge from just about any performance turbo shop and put it in yourself or have them do it.

Curious to know why you would DBB your stock T-25 though? 8)

Oh, our turbos arnt ball bearing....crappy :?

a DBB turbo would Spool up faster wouldn't it?

Correct, but he was implying why would you DBB an economy turbo when you could upgrade it 8)

Correct, but he was implying why would you DBB an economy turbo when you could upgrade it 8)

Our turbos are so small for the application that we are boosting pretty well at 2000 RPM. Most any turbo I have sat behind that could handle top end breathing would not spool until 3200-3500 RPM with thrush bearings. Now when you upgrade to DBB that spool RPM drops to 2900-3000RPM.

Any turbo that spools to full boost at a low RPM can not feed enough air for top end. Then any turbo that can flow air and boost efficiently will be laggy on the bottom end. 8)

Our turbos are so small for the application that we are boosting pretty well at 2000 RPM. Most any turbo I have sat behind that could handle top end breathing would not spool until 3200-3500 RPM with thrush bearings. Now when you upgrade to DBB that spool RPM drops to 2900-3000RPM.

Any turbo that spools to full boost at a low RPM can not feed enough air for top end. Then any turbo that can flow air and boost efficiently will be laggy on the bottom end. 8)

Exactly my point, meaning the T-25 was added for a performance/economy mix. It's spooled by 2K, meaning it wasn't entirely designed for an aggregate society of racers. More so, in that era, for people who would be using it for reliability, and even you racers who have Turbos and aren't always in the 5K+ range :D 8)

So any turbo shop has them? I got to check with oregon fuel injection and see if the can supply me with a cartridge. They tend to be quite inflated though. What price range should I be looking for?

generally ball bearing turbos are not made to "spool" faster right away but to give you better boost response...i know it sounds like the same but its really not...being around the nissan guys a lot more they have made this very clear...the disco potato is the GT28R...someone should try out the GT2540R...should spool nicely and can make around 350whp on an SR20...

generally ball bearing turbos are not made to "spool" faster right away but to give you better boost response...i know it sounds like the same but its really not...being around the nissan guys a lot more they have made this very clear...the disco potato is the GT28R...someone should try out the GT2540R...should spool nicely and can make around 350whp on an SR20...

Well I think boost response and spool time run hand in hand no? Can you educate me on the difference? I am not being a smartass...just wanting to learn. I have seen two different DBB setups that you could literally blow with your mouth lightly (keep the comments to thyn selves! :wink: ) and the turbo wheels would spin...and that was with very little effort.

We have a gent (Jud) who is running a T3076 which is rated to 400+whp. From my understandings this thing is the largest internally wastegated turbo on the market that is a direct bolt on to the T-25.

We have a gent (Jud) who is running a T3076 which is rated to 400+whp. From my understandings this thing is the largest internally wastegated turbo on the market that is a direct bolt on to the T-25.

When did he install that. Last I knew he was running the GT28R, which is a step down from the disco potato...

I'm planning on upgrading to the 2871R over the winter.

Shawn

Well I think boost response and spool time run hand in hand no? Can you educate me on the difference? I am not being a smartass...just wanting to learn. I have seen two different DBB setups that you could literally blow with your mouth lightly (keep the comments to thyn selves! :wink: ) and the turbo wheels would spin...and that was with very little effort.

I can't really explain it as such but I'll try my best...its like when you are in between gears and you get back on the throttle again its back quicker or somethin...i know theres more and ive had it explained to me a few times by way more knowledgeable people cause I am just now really starting to get into GT series turbos(thats what all the SR guys use for the most part) from when I used to be DSMer when they all used 360 thrust bearing turbos...if i can dig up a better explanation ill do that just for you ;) haha