mono amp recommendations? kind of long, sorry

stockgp

ok so i've kind of been out of the loop for a while now. on a budget of about 200 bucks, i want to get my gf an amp for two infinity reference single voice coil 4 ohm 12s.

her previous system (stolen) was a panasonic 903U, two phoenix gold octane-r 12s and a phoenix gold tantrum 200.2. i pretty much made her choose between memphis and phoenix gold subs and amps, since that's mainly what i sold at the audio store and i'm a pretty big fan. so she picked out the phoenix gold octane r subs and i picked the tantrum series amp.

since she had all her shit stolen, i've bought a panasonic c8100u and 2 infinity reference 12s. since her bday is coming up, i'm going to get her an amp, too.

now, i've heard phoenix golds latest line of RSd amps are a bit of a drop from their usual quality. their xenon line has been distontinued, so i don't see why they would want to put out a line of amps that aren't as good. anyone knwo anything about this? i can still get a xenon amp online brand new, so they may still be in th erunning.

i can get a 600 watt octane amp for about 180 shipped, but i don't know how clean they will sound. any thoughts?

i don't think i can get new a memphis amp for anywhere around 200 bucks. at least, not one powerful enough to be loud and sound good. i'm looking, but it's not real hopeful

any other recommendations? i'm thinking maybe kicker, but i don't have too much experience with their stuff. i don't know that their products are as good as the hype.

ok, so all opinions welcome

HAHA Hey I have those subs!!!!!!!! But not for long :D

Basically if you want a real good quality amp thats rated at 600w RMS, youll prolly spend a little more than 200 bucks.

Basically it also depends on how you wire the subs as to what amp you will buy. You can either go 2 ohm load or an 8 ohm load since your looking for a mono amp.

But heres a pretty good amp;

http://www.cardomain.com/item/BOSC1200

They make some good stuff.

Ill look up some other amps for you too

well, see, i can get a new phoenix gold xenon series 400x1 rms @ 2 ohm new with a warranty on ebay for less than 2 bills. and that's perfect because the infinity subs handle 300 watts rms, they're 4 ohm and i'll be running them parallel most likely. i'm a big fan of the xenon series, too.

i'm not a huge fan of infinity subs, but they were decent for the price. i think i paid 70 a piece brand new.

i've never heard anything from Boss audio. my impression was that boss was a lower-echelon brand like jbl or power acoustik.

JBL is deff not lower brand. JBL is one of the best.

But it says Warranty: 6 years?

400x1 @2ohm isnt that bad. You wont kill em with power, but youll give em enough. youll want to run those subs in parallel to run it at 2 ohm, 8 ohm is run in series.

But if you can get that amp, it should be good enough.

i know a little more than you're giving me credit for. i've built a few competition cars and sold car audio equipment for a while. i def. know the difference between series and parallel :lol: i just put the "most likely parallel" part in case maybe i end up getting a two channel amp or something that would overpower the subs.

i've just been out of the whole car audio scene for a while, so i'm looking for guys that are still into it.

i think JBL sucks some monkey nuts. i just haven't heard too many systems i've been impressed with. i wouldn't put them in the same category as, say, diamond or memphis, or eclipse. of course i wouldn't put JBL in the same category as a company like lanzar or pyle, either :lol:

what are you running? maybe things have changed since i got out of the audio stuff :shrug: .

Sorry about that, I dont wanna sound like an asshole ya know.

Right now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I have the two 12's, and a pyramid amp as a quick fix, which seems to be working fine, no complaints about it at all really. (BTW this system if for sale for $300 obo)

My new system that Im ordering monday is two 13Ov.2 and a Nine.1 amp with a custmo box made for those subs, all by Elemental Design.

bah, it's all good. i was trying hard not to sound like an asshole, too :lol:

anyhow, i've heard decent things about elemental designs stuff. got any specs on your stuff. specifically efficiency and power into 2 ohms. also, any idea what the build quality is like?

:lol:

Ive heard nothing but good from eD, thats why Im going to give them my business.

Heres an amp (2 channel) that would work with the subs. and all the rated power is at 12.5v so it actually puts out more than what they tell you. I think this amp would be the best for what your going to use it for. But everything you need to know about the amp should be there

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=17&pid=33&cur=USD

Heres some of the stuff that Im going to get; I plan on getting dual 4ohm subs, bridging them down to 1 ohm

Amp

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=4&pid=6&cur=USD

Subs

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=2&pid=20&cur=USD

looks like decent stuff 8) .

but i'm not sure i'd want to have an a/b amp running my subs. i'd much rather have a class d amp for that. this isn't going to be a competition car, but i'd like to have it sound as goos as possible for what i'm putting into it

I will most definetally vouch for the quality of ed equipment. I have been using it for years. And I have competed for the past couple years in dbdrag and have had decent results....including a second in Super Street 1-2NW.

I would look at the Nine.2X if I were looking for match for those infinity subs.

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=17&pid=33&cur=USD

And as far as worrying about running a class A/B amp. I wouldnt. I have used both class A and class D's and there is no negligible difference between them....other than a bit of efficiency.

If you had a JL monoblock amp it wouldn't really even matter that much what ohm load you are running off your speakers. Their amps use R.I.P.S circuitry "regulated intelluigent power supply" so they can employ all the amps advertized wattage over a wide array of impedences.

hm. i've never really been impressed with anything JL had to offer. just seems like sound quality with comparable equipment from other brands was always better. although, the r.i.p.s. does sound interesting. i'll give them alook

i guess not running a class d amp wouldn't be the end of the world. i just want it t sound good and be loud. i especially want it to sound good at high volume. i mean, it's only a cavalier. for some reason those things are really noisy on the inside.

well thanks for the advice. i'll be making a decision in the next two or three days.

They reproduce the most dynamic rich sounds of any amp/speaker I have seen. Car or home. It is amazing how linear and quiet the cone remains at all levels of excursion.