GutlessSupreme

Which GTP would you rather have?  

1. 1. Which GTP would you rather have?

• Black '97 coupe w/ tan leather
    • Silver '98 sedan w/ black leather

This would be a no brainer for me, but I thought '97s were notorious for problems..

I'd much rather have a black coupe over a silver sedan...

assume same options, price etc.

My friend has a 97 and I've always told him have fun with problems, but the car has been flawless otherwise. I think the previous owner replaced the fuseblock on his.

Umm do the have the Hi-Po wheels (5spoke) that would be the deal breaker for me.

But I've never really liked tan interiors.

I'm not concerned with the interior color or wheels much at all. Moreso just all the supposed problems '97s supposedly have.

They're mostly eletrical, right? Exactly what goes wrong/breaks?

We have a '97 GP GT...no electrical problems whatsoever...

Things that have happened to it:

1) Water Pump Crapped out (40k)

2) Stamping Defect in hood (not bad)

3) Headlight Lenses fell off both sides (pretty sure its the case with 98's also)

4) had to replace front pivot in D/S Suspension, crap design if you ask me (62k)

As far as the 1997 GP's go, either you're gonna get one with no problems at all, or you're going to get one with every problem in the book. Personally, I like the color scheme a lot better on that '98 sedan. In 1997-1998 the interior was not two tone tan/black, it was ALL tan and it looks disgusting. It can be recified pretty easily, but the color is still terrible. Plus black is a gigantic bitch to keep clean. I hate black.

97 had the most factory freaks

There have been people with every year run just as good as the other year cars(I've seen a 01 sedan go 14.4@96mph stock, saw a 00 coupe go 14.5@95mph, etc...and our track isn't the best one out there..).

I would go for the silver sedan. The sedans look better IMO, and silver is a lot easier to keep clean than black. 8)

FWIW: I have no problems with the 4dr w-bodys, I actually do think they look better too, but I just don't like the fact that they still badged it "GTP".....it is kind of like how I can't stand the fact that the Dodge Charger now has 4drs too :shrug:

FWIW: I have no problems with the 4dr w-bodys, I actually do think they look better too, but I just don't like the fact that they still badged it "GTP".....it is kind of like how I can't stand the fact that the Dodge Charger now has 4drs too :shrug:

Yeah, no shit. Should have kept the previous generation's nomenclature (GTP is a coupe with the kick-ass engine, GT is the sedan with the kick-ass engine), or even called it an STE.

As is becoming clear in the "Obscure Facts About Grand Prix" thread, Pontiac seems to lock its PR guys in a small room with cans of carb cleaner when it comes time to name their trim levels.

The 97+ coupe just don't look right to me. The doors look out of porportion(sp?). Oh and about the 97 problems I haven't really heard too many people complaining.

I would go for the 98! Tan interior would be kinda blah!

Definatly the 98!

1. It's newer, hopefully less problems

2. Black is a bitch to keep clean, silver looks hot.

3. I agree that all 97+ look better with 4 doors. The 2 doors just don't look right. More practical as well..

4. Tan interiors suck! I hate mine!!!

is that even a question?

i cannot believe that it's tied so far!

silver with black interior is a must...especially if a special edition was in question with the two-toned interior ....booooiing.... :mrgreen:

Well, as much as a HATE the color silver on cars id say the sedan cause its got black interior wich is teh awsome, i have tan, and its alright, but i wish i had charcoal, and i think they shoulda done the STE thing with the 4 doors and GTP with coupes

youre asking for trouble (possibly) with the 97. you have the first year bugs and tan interior which can be a pia to keep clean as well as the black exterior paint which is another pia. however, i like black better nonetheless and for some reason i dont mind the early tan interior. i also like the looks of 2-doors better plus they are lighter.

I'm actually really surprised at how close this poll is.. I honestly thought the coupe would be ahead (usually is).

I don't know if either one of the cars would still be available in time for me to make a move, but it's good to get opinion's nonetheless.

I say get the 98. I picked it over the 97 because...

1. Newer

2. 98's have Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control. 97's just have manual single zone controls.

3. 98's have the better DIC than the 97's.

4. I like silver on 97+ GP's and doesn't show dirt nearly as much as black.

5. 4 doors do come in handy..