Wheel Spacers...no the BIG ones.

lakefxgp96

I've been having trouble getting a good answer or reccomendation on this...I appologize in advance since this is going to sound like 21 questions

What are your reccomendations on big wheel spacers? Im looking to extend my GP's wheels out another 1". Currently i have +40 wheels with some 8mm spacers. This nets a +32, it looks "OK" but not perfect. The fender flares on the GP still make the wheels/tires look like they are set in too far. stock i beleive is +32, however on a 16" rim, the tires bulge out. On these 17"S the tire wall is nearly flat, so overall the wheels/tires look as though they are set in further than stock.

Id like to get a much more aggressive stance. I think a 2" spacer would look pretty good but its overkill. 1" would be ideal. (net +18) Does someone know of a 1" adapter i can get? or how hard is it to replace all of the studs with longer ones and install 1" spacers? Are the both just about as safe?

Whatever i decide, this needs to be safe enough for autoX/road coarsing. The extra 2" of wheel base would be great to take advantage of but im not going to attempt it if anyone has any real world experience that would be able to convince that this is a bad idea :cry:

Oh and what place should i get such a part?

i dont know where you can get those... might look into some dragracing parts suppliers... i think you would need a full adapter plate not just a spacer to meet safety reqirements for racing, spacers on the longer lugs doesnt seem as safe to me, should be ok for regluar driving.

I found this info for what it's worth....

"Slip-on Spacers

These are the discs that slide over your studs. For small thicknesses (1/4" or less) they are fine. For greater thicknesses, the wheel studs are seriously weakened. The reason is that the studs have a greater bending moment since the lugnuts are further away. Under braking or acceleration, the studs would be stressed more, and might break.

Bolt-on Adapters

Billet adapters bolt onto the car just as a wheel would. The adapters have their own studs that the rim bolts onto. This design is just as strong as without adapters, since the stud forces haven't changed. The adapters are made from a billet cylinder of 6061 T6 Aluminum. The billet is machined to fit over the hub, with stud holes drilled to fit. Studs are pressed through the adapter to which the rims are bolted onto. The adapter is then slipped over the car's studs and bolted on. The rims finally bolt on as usual. "

http://www.skulte.com/billet_adapters_lg.jpg

Here's the main page there.

http://www.skulte.com/adapters.html

Sounds like you will definitely need bolt-on adapters.

Stock offset is +25mm, btw.

You are correct, +32 is the non b4u i think ? doesnt matter, i want something better than +25

So would it be safer to use an 'adapter' than longer studs? I would think so too but want to make sure.

Yeah, if you really want at least 1", I think adapters will be considerably safer.

Get hubcentric ones if you can.

Cool, last question, do you have a vendor you like for these? I find adapters all over the 'net bu they are all sold by shady-looking places unlike jegs or jc-whitney or big websites.