Would This Prevent Convertible Dome Light Switch Meltdown?

kcac

Many of you know that the switches on the Cutlass convertible dome lights are famous for melting to the point of being useless.

Here's a question for those of you who know have some expertise in car electronics. Would replacing the standard dome light bulb with a LED dome light bulb prevent the switch from melting?

I saw dome LED lights on this site (about half-way down on the page) and was wondering if they would be a way to prevent the switches from melting.

http://www.lightlens.com/ledbulbs.htm

Any advice would be appreciated.

i am not familier with the melting switch problem... but i'll do my best

if the switch is melting, most likely, it is due to too much current flowing thru the switch. a bulb with too high a watt rating will cause this. since an LED draws less current to operate, i would think that you are on to a good idea. it deffinatly wont make the problem any worse.

the only other option to keep it from melting is to replace the switch. but i think the LED will do the trick for ya.

You could also run a relay off the switch, then use the relay to turn the lights off and on. Might be either a lot of wire to run or else a hard time packaging all that in the roll bar though.

i would say the reason for the switch burning is the high amp going thru. even if you put a relay there is still extra voltage the will burn it. but using a relay i think will fix it.

Putting in a relay will work, but it's cheaper and easier just to use a diode.

http://www.w-body.com/service/CSConv-DomeLightFix/domelightfix.html

Anyway, if your switches are okay now, LED bulbs will probably work well to prevent the switches from melting. The only problem with LED bulbs is they're not very bright except in a small hot spot. The lighting is very uneven.