just in need of alignment, or possibly more?

THe_DeTAiL3R

My car pulls to the left at higher (highway) speeds, and above 70mph or so the steering wheel starts to shake.

I don't *think* it's a bad tire, cause usually they shake at lower speeds in my experience. I jacked the front of the car and theres no play in the front wheels (outter tie rod and balljoints look good). So am I just in need of an alignment or could there be some other factor thing causing the problem? What else could I check before taking it in? I also have winter tires/wheels that need to go on eventually BTW....

The shakes could be from a suspension bushing going bad, but check your tire pressures first. I know I have to check my front pressures often, because if they're not spot on, I get torque steer like crazy.

The tires shaking could be just an out of balance tire.

Pulling can be caused by a tire, not neccesarily a bad tire, but some tires can develop a pull. Try rotating the tires front to rear, and see if it still pulls.

If it still pulls, then it could be an alignment issue. If you haven't aligned the car in a while it would be a good idea anyway.

If it goes away then one of those front tires is causing the pull. Move the tires back to the front, but this time cross the fronts and see if it pulls to the right (opposite of before).

Generally the bad tire is in the direction it is pulling, so it you rotate-cross them and it pulls right, then that tire is causing the pull.

It's not a bad tire per say, it's not hurting anything, just a nussance.

Hope this helps

I think I'll throw on the winter wheels, since I'll need to do it eventually anyways... :?

It REALLY shakes going 85mph or so, don't wanna push it any faster than that cause it feels the car will fly apart.. lol .. but at like 50mph it's not even noticable.

I'll try the tires before spending money on alignment. If I do have a bad/worn tire I think I'll just buy a whole new set next year, since they are all worn slightly differently and mis-matched in the rear (although I didn't have problems before).

Well I put on my winter wheels, cause I might as well get it done with anyways. They are 205/70/15s (minivan size)

I took it up to 150km/h (90mph) - (converted to 139km/h or 84mph with the smaller tires) and although the car felt like it was gonna fly off the road (it was windy) it didn't feel like it was pulling and no shaking. I didn't have it at that speed for long so I'm not 100% sure yet it if was just the tires, but I'll let you know Friday. :)

If you do get new summer tires, get the car re-aligned because if it is out of alignment, it will eat new tires fast. :wink:

Trust me I know! My old 88 GP I drove around for the longest time with the tires looking like this / \ and it wore the sides pretty bad. The tread on the tires (the 225s) looked even, so I'm thinking maybe a bad belt or something. They suck though anyways.