'95 3.1....what next?

sdwhite

Hello all-

You might remember my '95 3.1 (203K) and it's awful idle...engine shaking roughly in the engine mounts, dies sometimes at idle, no power when driving (if you can get it to drive).

This is all I've done: Plugs, wires, cleaned TB, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Had upper intake cleaned, had lower intake cleaned, replaced lower intake gaskets, replaced plenum gaskets, Had fuel injector ohm's tested, new injector o-rings. Spark coils seem to be working fine.

I thought it might have been a flat cam lobe but w/lower intake off I inspected cam & lifters best I could and they all seemed normal.

Should I just give up and take it to a shop? It has a funny ALDL so I can't get the codes out of it. Since I disconnected the batt to do the lower intake It might not have any anyhow.

What is the likelyhood that this is something very serious, like broken rod or something? The plugs I took out looked "normal"...not broken or bent or anything.

Any other suggestions before I break down and bring it to a shop?

If your plugs are brand new then pull them out and inspect them. I bet anything you will find at least one probably two plugs will have an oily residue on them. Althought you say they look "normal" I would check again. This sounds like the classic coil pack or ICM problem. Check and make sure all your plugs are actually firing. I got an ICM and the coil packs from a 96 3100 in the junk yard for 25 bucks so they are cheap to find.