(Not So) Good Vibrations

Burnout524

Ok, excuse the sorry attemp at a subject title...its a reference to a Beach Boys song.

So anyway, approximately 3k miles ago, I had my rotors resurfaced due to a vibration under braking. While it was in the shop, he also put on some new pads as well as topped off or replaced the brake fluid. All was well, for about a thousand miles. The vibration came back and I decided I'd live with it until it will get so bad that it will be hazardous or until I get sick of pulsating to a stop. So here we are now, 2k miles later and the vibration is worse than ever.

So here I am, wondering, should I have the rotors resurfaced again or should I just look into new rotors all around? If you think I should get new rotors, what should I be looking for? Or should I just get some OEM's from the dealer? I'm at the point where I'm tired of the pulsating to a stop and I'm hoping that I'm not fucking up my front end alignment, since theres at least one warped rotor up front (as there is a vibration through the steering wheel too).

Those who went to ModernOlds might remember I brought this up the first time. :roll:

rotors don't warp...you have a thickness variation issue...and it probably came back because the brake lathe probably wasn't 100% true or your rotors were below minumum thickness.

I always just put new ones on.

Also, make sure your calipers slide freely...as they were the cause of the DTV on my mom's grand prix (it was the rear ones in that case)

honestly, turning rotors doesn't work all that good IMO. when I bought my malibu, the dealer turned them and they already had 26k on them. by the time the car had 28k they were vibrating and pulsating. I changed them at 33k and it has 53k on it now and the car is still silky smooth. Best $50 I ever spent. honestly.

Resurfacing TWICE would be a waste of money..
Yeah, thats what I was kind of thinking...especially seeing that I only got about ~500 miles of silky smooth braking. I guess I could have let it get worse at the time, but since prom was coming up and we were taking my car...well, gotta have a nice ride. 8)

So if I'm getting new rotors, should I just get standard rotors or go all out and get super heavy duty rotors or cross drilled ones?

White box is better than shaving them to be flat. The heat causes expansion and contraction in the metal, making some spots more likely to warp under heat again.

What's better than white box rotors? White box rotors with Hawk HP Plus pads. Wheels will be FILTHY, but you'll stop on a dime.

Meh, I don't mind the brake dust so much. Anything's gonna be cleaner than what I've got on there now. I don't mind the gunmetal grey wheels...if only the rears would get as dirty as the fronts. :roll:

Yeah I agree. Always good luck with whitebox rotors. They won't pulsate if you don't ride the pedal. My mom rode the pedal on her original rotors inher Impala. No exaggeration, by 5,600k onthe car, it has the worst vibration. I changed them and she stopped riding the brake and it made a world of difference.