new TGP production #s thread (was other ASC/McLaren cars)

Guest TurboSedan

i edited the thread title, this has gotten good :)

This is getting really good :D And its funny, last night I was thinking the same thing, to surprise you and change the Thread Title :lol: Something like "This is the Shitz, check it out, production secrets" 8)

This Sandy person sounds nuts into cars :lol: thats cool, and glad he/she was so helpful for you, nice to find someone wanting to reach out and help so much :thumbsup:

As for the Buick LeSabre Gran National, I have a local friend that has a white one, its his baby, enough he put an L67(?) supercharge 3800 motor and 4T65E-HD in it :shock: ran pretty damn good but told him it still did not feel as fast as it should have, I could tell that he was thought I was just jealous for saying that, but I don’t have jealous tendencies and told him I wanted what was right for his super rare baby that he spent so much time on doing this swap and I wanted to help him as that is my way!!! So I asked him if he changed out the fuel system from the stock one that was for the 2.8L motor in there, he said….NO!?!?!?! :shock: :roll: I told him to swap the pump and fuel lines (really small for the 2.8L setup) to stock or the Walbo 255, so he did and it screamed now, and he was happy but said the tranny made some odd shifts, so I said to pull the pan and replace the fluid and filter for now and see what happens, come to find the filter which is the fluid pickup for the oil pump was not there :mad: WTF, so he put one in, re-filled the fluid and it has been great for him every since. It’s an interested looking car and kinda of cool, more super rare looking than loud sporty but cool non the less, and its his prize rare car so that’s all that matters!! I will ask him if he knows these production numbers 8) Prices for used parts on this thing are insane, would make us feel like our parts are free :lol:

Last night when I was typing and not thinking :lol: I did not explain myself well :oops: , when I replied the 375/375 color numbers, and the 2,000 as the intentions of total production, I was trying to say that since 2,000 was at one time the intended total production that the 375/375 might have been an initial production count too since it would be nearly impossible for the dealers to have just happened to order exactly the same number of TGPs in both colors, and GM will sell what ever color/option TGP and how ever many TGPs are ordered from the dealers, which we know too since there were way more than 2,000 TGPs made, well maybe not way more :wink: .

Jeff M

Yes, Canada is part of North America ("North American Operations" as they call it). So that is the only place to get an Export TGP. Now how many?..for sure not many at all, but I do know of 3 owners in Europe at this point 8) . Yea seems odd the sunroofs are not ASC, especially since ASC headed this project :? But the Project Manager at ASC that did our cars said nope, and the "Inalfa" written on our sunroofs goes along with that story.

Jeff M

The G.M. there, like me, had a "thing" for special models. Had they been a Ford dealer with him you can be sure they woulda had a dozen ascMcLarens! When Buick had their specials, this dealer had them all, from Gran National Regals to Gran National Centurys and T-Types all over the place ! 4.4.2. Olds when they were out.

I think it was 1996 that was Oldsmobile's 100th anniversary. To commoemorate they brought out a super duper model 98. It cost as much as a sedan de ville but overshadowed the de ville in every way. No dealers ordered it because the price was waaay outside the Olds buyer's arena. After 1996 I wrote to Olds to find out how many were made. Now, there were appox. 3,000 Olds dealers in America, right.... 28 ordered one of these ! Yup, 28 examples were made. Dealer by me? He ordered 2 TWO ! Otherwise I never would have known about them!

Ever hear of a Buick LeSabre Gran National ? Thought not! 117 were made. (Yup, he had one)

So...the Pontiac Turbo G.P. was a faily common car, for them !!

If I ever get out of school with a degree :roll: , I hope to be able to run a Dealership like that where I can also feed my need for rare/special cars. :D

It just doesn't seem like very many limited production cars are built anymore these days, they all seem built for the masses. :?

I don't know why, but when I'm in the vicinity of a <5000 production car, I just get an everlasting boner. :lol:

It'd be a rare KM/H instrument cluster to say the least.

Wasn't 90 the first year for daytime running lights in Canada?

A truely "Canadian" 90 TGP would have the T61 Daytime Running Lights RPO code?

Jeff? I'm scared, and confused.

ya 90 was the first year of DRL in canada... and i know theres no TGP made for canada... when i went to insure my/ change it over... there like whats this 5... (1G5) should it be (1G2)... no 1G5 vins come up in the canadian system..... hopefunny Invasion1 joins into this ... why would you think he would get his cars from the states.

I would give away my TGP if there was TGPs made for Canada with a KPH spedo/ daytime running lights ect

i ahve to diasgree.... im willing to bet no TGP were sold in canada

:roll: Go ahead and disagree :lol: (but at least fix your spelling :? ), but there are some owners in Europe that are happy it did happen 8) . As I recall there were HUDs with the Kilometer/MPH switch :naughty:

So, from this last guy I am talking with from Europe, that is in Sweden, I am looking to get a list of his codes so I can see the details :twisted: and the option code for the daytime running lights (and anything else!!), that’s not that big a thing to have, there are many GM cars in Canada back before 1990 and after. Soon as I find out for sure from the option codes (though the ASC Project Manager said that is true; Canadian bought TGPs, and the only way to get a European TGP was through Canada :!: ) then I will let everyone know so they can stop worrying so much :shock: :roll:

It'd be a rare KM/H instrument cluster to say the least. Jeff? I'm scared, and confused

All our Gauge Clusters show both Kilometers and MPH (actually most cars do :shock: ), go out to your car and look a little closer :wink: its in that dark yellow small print right next to our white MPH numbers. So don't worry bossman :twitch:, the boogie-man will decipher the codes soon :bonk: .

ya 90 was the first year of DRL in canada... and i know theres no TGP made for canada... when i went to insure my/ change it over... there like whats this 5... (1G5) should it be (1G2)... no 1G5 vins come up in the canadian system..... hopefunny Invasion1 joins into this ... .

You mean the people like those that ran the VINs of some owners here and were told they had a truck or a Grand AM :smilielol:

why would you think he would get his cars from the states

Because there were so few sold there in Cananda that they were hard to find, or even know of them being there :shrug: :lol:

Boy you guys are loads of fun :roll: :lol: You're bringing TurboSedan's Topic down, and it was getting really exciting for many :wink:

Jeff M

ya 90 was the first year of DRL in canada...

Then I think that the 1990 TGP would be the most likely candidates! And as I recall that is the year of the 3 TGP owners I talked to and sold stuff to in Europe.

and i know theres no TGP made for canada... when i went to insure my/ change it over... there like whats this 5... (1G5) should it be (1G2)... no 1G5 vins come up in the canadian system.....

I was doing some thinking about what you said here, so this means you could not get your TGP registered or get plates :shock: :cry: that sucks for you :bawl:

I would give away my TGP if there was TGPs made for Canada with a KPH spedo/ daytime running lights ect

At least you got the KPH and MPH Gauge Cluster after all :thumbsup:

Jeff M

I was doing some thinking about what you said here, so this means you could not get your TGP registered or get plates that sucks for you

took me some time to get it plated

At least you got the KPH and MPH Gauge Cluster after all

ya but im talking the Big lettering being in KPH and the small In MPH like my 1990 se i used to have

I was doing some thinking about what you said here, so this means you could not get your TGP registered or get plates that sucks for you

took me some time to get it plated

At least you got the KPH and MPH Gauge Cluster after all

ya but im talking the Big lettering being in KPH and the small In MPH like my 1990 se i used to have

Took you some time?? but you got it done so that's good :D , might be how David/Invasion1 did it, and others that got new, though must have been some real nasty paper work for it to then be an export :shock: . THANKS for the info/help, odd way of getting help but works for me :lol: . Is there a name for the procedure you used to get it registered??? Like "Special Vehicle Application" or something?

And thanks for the info on the KPH and MPH sizes being swapped 8) that would be a cool/different looking dash :D , I will be sure to ask my buddy in Sweden that detail too along with the option code numbers, HUD having the switch, and daytime running lights! Anything else I can ask him to confirm this mystery???

Jeff M

no problem... when plating insuring my TGP i had to get a temp tag 1st... then go and get a bunch of pics taken of all the vin #'s on the car ( yes they were all the same) then the ministry of transportation let me register it.

i think i still got the speedo from my 1990 se as i was parting it out on the board earlier.... ill post a pic of it if you want. the Se also had the DRL. also if i would have brought my TGP over a couple of years earlier, i would have to do like $2000 in bumber support upgrades to meet canadian standards. ( once the car hits 15 ... its fair game, you can just bring er over)

I was going to chime in on that, but it looks like kuntzie beat me to it.

A *true* Canadian car would have KM/H in large letters, and MPH in the smaller letters.

I can't wait to see what you can bestow us with, Jeff 8)

also my 1990 TGP Doen't have a MPH/ KPH switch for the HUD... told they were only in 1989??? also in canada... well at least my 1990 se and my 1995 monte carlo have a Canada Sticker on the inside of the door too.... hope this will get you more info for you to share with us

also my 1990 TGP Doen't have a MPH/ KPH switch for the HUD... told they were only in 1989??? also in canada... well at least my 1990 se and my 1995 monte carlo have a Canada Sticker on the inside of the door too.... hope this will get you more info for you to share with us

You can add the english/metric switch though. Also, I remember a guy on the TGP board posting about those bumper support issues to register his TGP in Canada(may have been an old post from ~2002)....I can't remember if he ever got his car registered or not.

that was invasion1 (davis) he was telling me about it.... he wanted to register it here .. was too much work so he sold it tback to some guy in the USA

The guy I was talking about was not Davis. :wink: I believe his sn was "drewskie" or something like that.

I was going to chime in on that, but it looks like kuntzie beat me to it.

A *true* Canadian car would have KM/H in large letters, and MPH in the smaller letters.

I can't wait to see what you can bestow us with, Jeff 8)

:lol: Yep and I was just about to reply to you that he educated me on what you meant 8) I am still learning :wink: . More to learn, and will keep at it though its been a week and my buddy in Sweden has stopped emails so hope he is ok, he was rather depressed since his wife dumped him then moved in right away with another guy :roll:, that sucks double time :evil: So soon as I get emails from him again, will be working on what he can help me with. Funny/good thing is I made a friend with him by answering the usual 10,000 questions most owners have when they start emailing me and want to fix everything :lol: along with getting him all these parts no one has over there or can’t get, and from my support for him dealing with this woman problem and while he was trying to get use to things like coming home to an empty house (bachelor pad baby :wink: ). So another way to cheer him up is I snatched a new book of Cudas off ebay (since that is the only car she left him other than a truck) and this book has tons of history just like we are working out on our cars, and it has many great full color pics of all the years and models. So was planning to ship this book out to him this week, but knowing it took nearly 3 weeks for the parts I sent him to get there, might be a while before he gets it.

So hoping with all the help I gave him he won’t mind taking the time to help me out and get all the code numbers and such for me, I will not forget.

Thanks again for waiting for me to get it right/teaching an old man new tricks :lol:

Jeff M

no problem... when plating insuring my TGP i had to get a temp tag 1st... then go and get a bunch of pics taken of all the vin #'s on the car ( yes they were all the same) then the ministry of transportation let me register it.

i think i still got the speedo from my 1990 se as i was parting it out on the board earlier.... ill post a pic of it if you want. the Se also had the DRL. also if i would have brought my TGP over a couple of years earlier, i would have to do like $2000 in bumber support upgrades to meet canadian standards. ( once the car hits 15 ... its fair game, you can just bring er over)

Thanks for all the info, and educating me 8)

Wow, interesting events you have to go through :shock: !!. Here we first get insurance by giving the VIN number and description, years etc to our insurance company (do you even have “insurance companies†or is that run by your Government?). Then take the Proof of Insurance to our local DMV/Motor Vehicle Department/Secretary of State (others states here have different names where you get registered, license plates, drivers license and all that, which is run by our Government, then we are free to ruin our driving record by driving like idiots :twisted: ).

Yea if you got time, it would be very interesting to see this KPH Speedo :D , and if you would give me permission to use (credit/your name would be included with the pic) and stick it on my web site where I have been collecting pics of TGPs, TSTE (and a nice 3.1L Turbo Cutty from some guy name David K :lol:) and other interesting related stuff, even have a 1989 or 90 GP with the square head lights they (?? you might be able to correct me on this) only offered when exported to Europe, or once received in Europe?

A $2,000 bumper support upgrade?, this post is getting better all the time with all these oddities :thumbsup: Glad you were able to miss taking that hit!!! And I know I never knew about one either, sweeeet. To let you know, when I started working on that option code sheet I was also working on (for a while) other important bits of historical info and want to ask if I can add the info you are providing here about the bumper and KPH etc stuff???

And last I think (hard to keep up with all this info) I will ask my Sweden buddy what is written on his door edge, that is another great thing to ask him, thanks for making me think of that too!!

Jeff M

Sorry dude, different "McLaren" Ours is McLaren Performance Technologies, which was once a part of McLaren/TAG who are the ones that did the McLaren F1 and MB SLR. The company split a few years back to make up these 2 entities.

Not again, sorry again The rims on the prototype were the WS6 rims off the TransAm, and the WS6 was written on the center caps, instead of our ABS . They are much better looking rims, I really like the deeper dish then out short-lips

Sorry, hated to do that but we are still having tons of fun

Jeff M

Well I was almost right :lol: .

And I did say "LOOK". 8) . Dished in the center part where the bolts go thrugh. Though the mustang was a 4bolt and filled x-lace.

Enugh of my off toppic crap.

This would make it official if we could get a copy of that letter he/she has in her drivers manual.

Sorry dude, different "McLaren" Ours is McLaren Performance Technologies, which was once a part of McLaren/TAG who are the ones that did the McLaren F1 and MB SLR. The company split a few years back to make up these 2 entities.

Not again, sorry again The rims on the prototype were the WS6 rims off the TransAm, and the WS6 was written on the center caps, instead of our ABS . They are much better looking rims, I really like the deeper dish then out short-lips

Sorry, hated to do that but we are still having tons of fun

Jeff M

Well I was almost right :lol: .

And I did say "LOOK". 8) . Dished in the center part where the bolts go thrugh. Though the mustang was a 4bolt and filled x-lace.

Enugh of my off toppic crap.

This would make it official if we could get a copy of that letter he/she has in her drivers manual.

:) Well I am doing more learning than you :lol: , with all that KPH and special door labels and tougher bumper standards in Canada :shock: So, say we all are learning :D

Yea you are right, the rims "looked" the same, too bad we did not get the deeper dish ones like the WS6 style :cry: deep dish is for more than just pizza :wink:

Copy of the "Driver's Manual"?? You mean from this Sandy person? Yea whatever new stuff we can get would be exciting, even though I am still pumped from what I have learned so far 8)

Actually I would love to get all the info you have on that twin-turbo setup in your signature picture :drool: and the mag or whatever place you got the info from!!!

Jeff M

• 3 weeks later...
This Sandy person sounds nuts into cars :lol: thats cool, and glad he/she was so helpful for you, nice to find someone wanting to reach out and help so much :thumbsup:

He was a car salesman way back in the 80's. He did what most people don't seem to think of doing and wrote to Ford, GM, etc to get production numbers for some of the more interesting cars made during that time before they were forgotten or became stuff of legend.

Is there a good resource on the asc Grand Prix? I've always been somewhat interested in what asc had done to those cars.

-Mike

Is there a good resource on the asc Grand Prix? I've always been somewhat interested in what asc had done to those cars.

-Mike

http://www.tpsgarage.com/TGP/TGP_introduction.htm

http://www.turbograndprix.com

There's also a post at the top of this Turbo GP forum section that states most of the internal differences, etc. on these GP's vs. regular ones of that era.