new TGP production #s thread (was other ASC/McLaren cars)

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

besides the Turbo Grand Prix, what other ASC/McLaren modified production vehicles are there? i know there is the Capri/Mustang, and the '87 Buick GNX...anything else? my GTS had an ASC sticker in the doorjamb, but it was only becuase of the sunroof :lol: Chrysler/Shelby developed the go-fast stuff so it doesn't count.

I don't know that they "built" any more cars other than the Mustang, GNX, and TGP.

I stumbled upon this while searching for answers though:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/3155.html

It also contains a little didy on ASC, apparently they produced some of the composite body panels on early ram air trans ams? I wonder what sector of the "90's" they mean, maybe I should check my step dads Ram Air T/A for signs of ASC? :D

I believe you can go to the ASC web site to find out, I am sure they list/brag about the products they have been involved in, I have a book somewhere that lists many of the cars they were involved in. But like the TGP, ASC only does part of the work, the Aero was the only thing they did to our TGP, the drivetrain work was subcontracted out as you know to McLaren, and the Sunroof was made by Inalfa out of Holland and installed by GM/the factory. They did a ton of convertibles for the big three and others I believe, but not motor work, not their bag.

Jeff M

Those go for a decent chunk of change on eBay. They kind of made me disappointed that there wasn't more on our cars declaring them to be an ASC/McLaren project.

Guest TurboSedan
Those go for a decent chunk of change on eBay. They kind of made me disappointed that there wasn't more on our cars declaring them to be an ASC/McLaren project.

yeah, but on the bright side, the TGP has actually has special stuff under the hood that makes it more powerful :) i think the ASC/McLaren Capri/Mustangs just had a regular 'ol 5.0L V8 like the Mustang GT (i could be wrong). too bad they didn't use the 2.3L Turbo like the SVO did. i just wish the TGP got a numbered dash plaque :(

I actually asked some guys that had a lot of ASC/McLaren Mustang info on a website if they knew anyone with ASC/McLaren that could possibly try to find us some production numbers. They said they had never even heard of the Turbo Grand Prix's. :lol:

Guest TurboSedan

i just posted on an ASC/McLaren forum actually. i was trying to find info on these Fox bodies when i came across a thread entitled "ASC Turbo Grand Prix?"

i posted a pic of my STE Turbo and a little info. the site admin (he has THREE very very low mileage NICE ASC/McLarens) said he thought he had the info from ASC somewhere and would try to dig it up. let's hope!

Guest TurboSedan

he just posted!

750 Grand Prix Coupe Turbo {375 Black & 375 Brite Red}

2,725 Grand Prix Coupe Turbo (Color Mix unknown)

1,000 STE Sedan Turbo (Color Mix unknown)

END of G.P. Turbo Production

TOTAL = 4,475

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=5750#5750

PLEASE NO TROLLING OVER ON THEIR FORUM!

Well so no one went yet, so I did, here is a list of cars off their web site they were involved in:

2003 Dodge Ram Sport Side Concept

2003 So-Cal SSR

2003 Chrysler Sebring Touring VXT

Chevrolet SSR

Buick GNX

Ford McLaren Mustang

Porsche 968 Convertible

Buick LaCrosse Concept

Chrysler PT Cruiser Big sky Concept

Mitsubishi Stage 1 Eclipse

Pontiac Vibe GTR

Pontiac Sunfire H.O 2.2

Many others!!??

Of those listed, only 9 had optional links to….just a picture :roll:

A little more looking around their site and your find their fingers in supplying aero kits I suppose for the Dodge Neon SRT4. They have also made so many different concept, personal (for big wigs/execs/etc), limos, convertibles and such for the Big Three as well as Asian and other off show auto companies. But no mention of the TGP, other than it fitting under “Many others†:roll:

DO let us know what you find on their remember the TGP :lol: , or your other contact :shock: :D , this is very exciting!!!!!!! :drool:

Jeff M

he just posted!

TOTAL = 4,475

I wonder how accurate that really is though since some magazine articles state various numbers as well(Car & Driver for November 1988 states that Pontiac was going to "order only 2,000 in 1989"...other magazines state that "2,000" figure as well). I believe there are more 89's then that....

Guest TurboSedan
Well so no one went yet, so I did, here is a list of cars off their web site they were involved in

i tried to last night, but i couldn't find any links that gave me that stuff you found?! maybe i was on the wrong site.

DO let us know what you find on their remember the TGP :lol: , or your other contact :shock: :D , this is very exciting!!!!!!! :drool:

Jeff M

just did :) just look at the resources section on his forum....this guy seems to have done his homework on ASC/McLaren Capri/Mustang #s :shock: what i'd really like to know is where exactly did he get these numbers for the TGP? hope to see an answer soon!

Guest TurboSedan

I wonder how accurate that really is though since some magazine articles state various numbers as well. I believe there are more 89's then that....

not sure on accuracy, but obviously there are wayyy more '90 TGP coupe owners on the forums than '89s so it isn't too surprising (though that alone might not mean much). also, i have never seen a breakdown in color like that (375 red/375 black).

he just posted!

TOTAL = 4,475

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=5750#5750

PLEASE NO TROLLING OVER ON THEIR FORUM!

Well at least that makes more sense! I mean we all know way more 1990 owners than 1989 owners, that is for sure, and since I have talked to nearly a thousand or so owners since 1990, plus all the print-outs I have from ebay (VIN numbers baby :twisted: ) over the last 4 years has pretty much always been a 1990 TGP, not many 1989s at all and I refuse to believe a car one year older/1989 fell apart/died faster than a 1990 :roll: . After Pontiac gave up its historical division to a separate company (if its much of a "company":roll: ) called PHS/Pontiac Historical Services, web link: http://www.phs-online.com/ and their numbers as they emailed to me and others I know of was the following (the plot thinckens :lol: ):

751 TGPs in 1989

2,749 TGPs in 1990

TOTAL 3,500

And 1,000 TSTE in 1990

TOTAL 4,500 of both, that is pretty close to the ones above.

Weird thing is back in 1991 when I called up Pontiac's "Pontiac Cares" they gave me the numbers most of us have heard of until PHS took over in 1998/99 and that was (don't quote these numbers exactly but I know it was quoted to me in the 3,xxx each year for the TGPs):

3,425 in 1989

3,750 in 1990

So your numbers seem more believable and its great you just happened on them at a Ford web site :shock: SUPER GOOD FIND DUDE :thumbsup: :worship:

Jeff M

I wonder how accurate that really is though since some magazine articles state various numbers as well(Car & Driver for November 1988 states that Pontiac was going to "order only 2,000 in 1989"...other magazines state that "2,000" figure as well). I believe there are more 89's then that....

Magazine numbers mean nothing, since they're going off manufacturers production estimates. They also said 2,000 AWD STEs were going to be built for '88. There were actually only 124. Just a weeeeee bit off. Then all 1,376 '89 STEs came standard with AWD. That STILL doesn't total the 2,000 estimated, even between TWO years.

Magazine numbers mean nothing, since they're going off manufacturers production estimates. They also said 2,000 AWD STEs were going to be built for '88. There were actually only 124. Just a weeeeee bit off. Then all 1,376 '89 STEs came standard with AWD. That STILL doesn't total the 2,000 estimated, even between TWO years.

'

I was just sorta using the "magazine" figures as one example in a production number discrepancy. That one set of numbers Jeff posted are pretty far from the "750" figure for 89 as well.... :shock:

Guest TurboSedan

Weird thing is back in 1991 when I called up Pontiac's "Pontiac Cares" they gave me the numbers most of us have heard of until PHS took over in 1998/99 and that was (don't quote these numbers exactly but I know it was quoted to me in the 3,xxx each year for the TGPs):

3,425 in 1989

3,750 in 1990

Jeff M

and if those numbers were accurate, would that mean only 2750 TGP coupes were produced in '90 (excluding TSTE production) when 3426 '89 TGP coupes were produced? that wouldn't make sense. i think the numbers you got from PHS and what Sandy posted are more beliveable than the #s from Pontiac Cares.

Now that 375 red and 375 black don’t make sense, though I have not seen enough 89s to have a feel like I do about the many more 90s, but there are way more red 90s, that mainly because dealers ordered them in BUY-ME Bright Red for their showroom floors (I doubt many sat outside on the lot :lol:), and those owners that did order (though I ordered black :lol:), most likely wanted a bright red turbo sports car, no one can pass on that since most owners here like their Bright Red TGP 8) .

But the quote of 375 and 375 reminds me, and I can’t believe I forgot :shock: but you got me all excited :drool: !!!....but last month I bought some new black TGP emblems from a guy on ebay, and after a few emails, I found he knew something about our cars, and since he gave his cel phone number in an email, I just had to call him, and after 3 hours (must have been a good conversion?...YEA :yak: !!!) on our first talk together (there were more :wink: ) come to find out he was the Chief Project Manager for ASC that did the TGP Project. Anyways after making a pile of post-it notes of the info he was giving me I remember him stating that Pontiac had intentions back at that time to only make a total of 2,000 TGPs (probably why magazines back then got that number), which was supposed to be one for every Pontiac Dealer in North America :!: , and he was surprised at first they made more but said its very possible, and since there were many special/extra/one-off cars made for GM by them and others that were special pet projects and/or custom play toys for the execs or big-wigs, or their friends and/or family, anything is possible. He even told me there were 2 GNX made as Police Pursuit cars, must have a pretty flexible budget to have the cops get that one by the bean counters, that would have been a super rare GNX to have, wonder if it had Police Interceptor parts and work done to it :twisted: ? He also told me the sunroofs were NOT done by ASC, they were done in-house at GM and if you take out the headliner and look, the sunroof says “Inalfa†of Holland so it’s yet another surprise about our cars :o . The TGPs that were sold in Canada, were where the ones in Europe came from, and I just sold a huge pile of parts to a TGP owner in Sweden 2 weeks ago, a red 1990 of course, but the sad part was it’s his ex’s car and he does not own it :cry: , though he owns a matching-numbers 71 Cuda so he is not doing too bad :lol: . But I helped him a ton (as I do with the many more owners I do emails with) and he is very happy so I was thinking of asking him for his Option Code List from the label in his trunk (since I don’t get much help here I guess :roll:), as I am curious what info that one will have :? .

Anyways, don’t mean to steal from this topic as TurboSedan (x2 now :smile:) has made it one of the best we have had in a long time :D .

Jeff M

3,425 in 1989

3,750 in 1990

Jeff M

and if those numbers were accurate, would that mean only 2750 TGP coupes were produced in '90 (excluding TSTE production) when 3425 '89 TGP coupes were produced? that wouldn't make sense. i think the numbers you got from PHS and what Sandy posted are more beliveable than the #s from Pontiac Cares.

Oops, sorry, those were only TGPs numbers I was quoted, in 1991 I did not even know of the TSTEs :oops: and they did not mention anything other than the numbers being to answer my TGP production numbers question.

Jeff M

The new Benz is also made with Mclaren.

Nice to see some more supporting numbers. The first prototype cars look like they have Mclaren Mustang rims. I personaly like the mustang center caps over our ABS decals...so im making some 8) .

The new Benz is also made with Mclaren.

Nice to see some more supporting numbers. The first prototype cars look like they have Mclaren Mustang rims. I personaly like the mustang center caps over our ABS decals...so im making some 8) .

Sorry dude, different "McLaren" :oops: Ours is McLaren Performance Technologies, which was once a part of McLaren/TAG who are the ones that did the McLaren F1 and MB SLR. The company split a few years back to make up these 2 entities.

Not again, sorry again :oops: :oops: The rims on the prototype were the WS6 rims off the TransAm, and the WS6 was written on the center caps, instead of our :roll: ABS :lol: . They are much better looking rims, I really like the deeper dish then out short-lips :lol:

Sorry, hated to do that :wink: but we are still having tons of fun 8)

Jeff M

133 views and 21 replies in 12 hours, I think you set a new record Joshua/TurboSedan 8).

But its after 3am so I am going to stop watching :lol: Join you all again later today :D

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan
thank you so much for digging this info up if you don't mind me asking...where did you find this info? i mean....are those official ASC/McLaren numbers?

I, like you, was curious and I wrote to Pontiac in 1991 abd I asked. They sent me back a letter, which I placed inside my 1990 Pontiac brochure and kept. The Pontiac dealer near my house was also Cadillac, Buick and Oldsmobile. They got 2 1989 GP T.C.s and 3 in 1990, including one Burgundy SEDAN. The G.M. there, like me, had a "thing" for special models. Had they been a Ford dealer with him you can be sure they woulda had a dozen ascMcLarens! When Buick had their specials, this dealer had them all, from Gran National Regals to Gran National Centurys and T-Types all over the place ! 4.4.2. Olds when they were out.

I think it was 1996 that was Oldsmobile's 100th anniversary. To commoemorate they brought out a super duper model 98. It cost as much as a sedan de ville but overshadowed the de ville in every way. No dealers ordered it because the price was waaay outside the Olds buyer's arena. After 1996 I wrote to Olds to find out how many were made. Now, there were appox. 3,000 Olds dealers in America, right.... 28 ordered one of these ! Yup, 28 examples were made. Dealer by me? He ordered 2 TWO ! Otherwise I never would have known about them!

Ever hear of a Buick LeSabre Gran National ? Thought not! 117 were made. (Yup, he had one)

So...the Pontiac Turbo G.P. was a faily common car, for them !!

S A N D Y

Two 1990 ascMcLarens (Final Car & 4th of 12 Silver Anniversary Models). 3,037 & 7,327 Miles.

1986 Coupe Full Pkg'ed # 109 of 115. 646 miles