surge @ idle & @ cruise

lukee1982

1) Car will surge or jump at idle

2) Car will also surge at cruise speeds feels like a misfire

3) Seems to be more likly in cold weather.

Vacuum lines? If so is there any easy way to track a leaky vacuum

Items replaced lately

Plugs, upper intake gasket, O2 sensor

Have you had the upper plenum off latley???

Thats where I would start. With the engine on spray some carb cleaner around where the upper plen meets the lower plenum. If the car changes tone or Idle you found your problem.

check for any trouble codes. That could be a MAF sensor or EGR going out. You said that on the highway it feels like it is missing. That could be the crank position sensor going out. Also, check to make sure the wire for the crank sensor is not shorting out. Check your brake booster vacuum line. Cant think of anything else right off hand.

Robby

Something else to think about is the TPS is worn out. Mine did the same thing, spent 30 minutes replacing the TPS ,she idles like a kitten now and doesn't give me any trouble when I'm on the road.

well i don't have a ses light appearing so i wouldn't have any trouble couds would i?

Is there a way to test the tps?

Where is the crank sensor located?

when i stomp on the gas i get a wineing sound

thanx for the ideas and keep them coming

As for the TPS, the only way to test it is to replace it. If you have bypassed the Throttle Body Coolant lines, you can take the TB off in about 10 minutes. There are only 2 T15 torx screws holding the TPS on. Last I looked they were about $25 at Advance Auto Parts.

1) Car will surge or jump at idle

2) Car will also surge at cruise speeds feels like a misfire

3) Seems to be more likly in cold weather.

My '89 Regal was doing that - coil was bad - ignition module was bad...and spark plug wires were bad. Technician told me irregular idle and surge often caused by these things. Unfortunately they are expensive. Take the car to a *good* tech. You could spend a fortune replacing sensors and still have the problem