Cooling problem

SmokesGTP

Lately the temp gauge on my car has been actin a little weird which kinda tipped me off to a problem. It seems to take a very long time for the car to warm up and when it does it'l tend to run all the way up to about 245 degrees then fall all the way down to half operating temp. I looked under the hood and I see no problem and it runs fine. It'll stay hot unless I floor it and then it jumps all the way back down.I did notice only one cooling fan seems to come on when the car is at its hottest point. The coolant could stand to be flushed and my dad said maybe the thermostat was sticking. Any other ideas?

What your dad said is what I was going to say, until I read the bottom. Thats all I can think of, unless your temperature sender unit is going out. Mine went out on me before. Thats all I can tell ya, hope you figure it out!!

Robby

• 2 weeks later...
Where is the fan controller unit for these? Because neither of my fans come on at high temps... and not even when I turn on the a/c....

Methos

Your fan relays will be on the passenger side front fender under the hood. I had a similar problem when I had my 94 Euro. I replaced EVERYTHING that had to do with the cooling system. I finally got pissed and took it to a garage only to find out that the gauge on the dash was WAY off. I thought the same thing as you are, about the fans, but my fans were working correctly. I wasn't loosing any coolant or anything like that, but my gauge read that I was constantly overheating. I just ignored the gauge after I found out. The only way to fix it was by purchasing a new gauge, which required replacing the whole IPC for about $400. Better off wiring up a different temp. gauge.

Aaron

Maybe you got a head gasket going out or is already gone out. Or, a freeze plug may have fallen out of your block. Thats the only internal/non visible things I can think of.

Robby

freeze plugs are usually on the bottom of the engine block. The part is very cheap, but gettin to them is a different story. I have never replaced mine, no reason to, but I assume since they are in the block its gonna be harder than a head gasket replace job. You can do both yourself, you just need one good weekend and work constantly. I would rather do a head gasket than a freeze plug.

Robby