SPARK PLUG QUESTIONS (REAR 3)

harrydunn

1996 Cutlass Supreme, 3.1L, 87,000 miles. I'm planning on changing my tranny fluid and filter this weekend and also the plugs. I'm getting some tranny shake in OD heading up inclines and thought it might be time to change the fluid. First of all, am I correct in assuming that most would agree not to use Bosch Platinum plugs? I picked some up but may return them. AC Delco? Also, could someone give me a fairly detailed description of reaching the rear three plugs? I understand that the engine has to be tilted forward and just want to make sure I know the process.

Thanks a lot. Great site.

I dont know about what brand of plugs. AC Delco is factory, so I would say go with that.

To tilt the motor forward,

unbolt both dogbones. Only the bolt that hold the mound to the engine is necessary

Next, grab the motor somewhere, and pull it forwar. It will proabably be easier with the airbox removed.

pull it far enough forward so that the bolt holes for the dogbones on the motor line up with the little hole on the underside of the dogbone, run the bolt through there, are you have it tilted.

Im not trying to be an ass, Im trying to stop confusion. Your motor is referred to as a 3100. The 3.1L is what was used from '89 to '93. These two motors are different, so for some it may be confusing, I knew what you meant by the year. Again, just trying to help out.

BTW: Welcome man, I hope you find this site useful and enjoyable. Glad to have you aboard!!

Robby

1996 Cutlass Supreme, 3.1L, 87,000 miles. I'm planning on changing my tranny fluid and filter this weekend and also the plugs. I'm getting some tranny shake in OD heading up inclines and thought it might be time to change the fluid. First of all, am I correct in assuming that most would agree not to use Bosch Platinum plugs? I picked some up but may return them. AC Delco? Also, could someone give me a fairly detailed description of reaching the rear three plugs? I understand that the engine has to be tilted forward and just want to make sure I know the process.

Thanks a lot. Great site.

Being that you have a 1996 it doesnt have provisions for tilting the engine like the older cars do. I'm assuming you have the 3100, which the intake is more compact, allowing much easier access to the rear plugs. If you want more room though, you could remove the ignition coil packs and module (3 bolts) or the alternator and bracket. your choice