Package shelf/rear deck vibration and rattling

servoalt

OK, so I'm tired of the nasty rattling that comes from my rear deck on my '95 Cutlass Supreme SL coupe. My system:

Two Premier TS-W2504 SPL 10s

1.5 cu.ft (x2) slot port box

Directed 750D amp

2.4 farad cap

Pioneer DEH6400 head unit

Anyway, what can you do to make it stop rattling? I'm thinking Dynamat the underside but I don't know if there's room between the metal and fiberboard for that. I was also thinking there must be some way to seal off the 6x9s. I create so much pressure, the 6x9s get distorted really bad from the subs. I would like to make some sort of box or something...

How do you even get the rear deck out? I might pull it soon just to see what I'm dealing with.

Oh yeah, I'm getting my SPL measured as soon as I can find somewhere that does it.

on my 95 cutlass i found that the plastic 6x9 mounting bracket is what was rattling. and pulling it out is pretty easy i believe there are 3 christmas tree style plastic clips, in the front like right above the rear seats. and other that a couple other christmas style clips that should just pull right up, when you pull the rear deck up and off, its all one piece. and be careful not to break the plastic around the seatbelts.

Dyamat will solve your problem. Its only about 1/8" thick. I just got done doing my whole trunk. and that plastic mount that holds the 6x9's in sucks. your better off makng a custom one, which is something I have to do sooner or later. But if you do just the bottom of the rear deck lid, you should be fine. Atleast try that first, itll save you a lot of time/hassel.

yeah youll just have to pull the speaker covers off. I took those shitty screw thingys out and actually bolted it so that the plastic will never rattle anymore.

How does it sound with the Dynamat? Does it cancel a lot of the vibration or bass? Oh, and do you have the problem of that little black strip under the trunk buzzing? Mine moves like 1/4" and I hate that.

you have no clue how much the light bar and bumper used to move :lol: The Dynamat made it sound SOOOO much better and louder. Everything is better sounding and much more clear. I only have a little bit of rattling from the light bar because something is broke there that I have to fix. I still need a little strip of Dynamat on the trunk lid, and all my vibrations are gone. I can blast my system to its limits and my trunk doesnt rattle.

Although some would suggest e-dead also instead of Dynamat, just for cost issues

2 12" Infinity 1230, MTX vented box. infinity 4" and 6x9's pyramid amp poering interior and JBL amp powering subs. Right now Im only pushing 180W RMS to each sub. Soon Im prolly gonna get kappa perfects and push 580w RMS I got the Dynamat at audio obsessions which gave me a good deal but I got like 48 sq ft and it was fucking expensive. I dont even want to say what I paid for all of it. Go with e-dead. much MUCH cheaper.

Yeah, the Premier subs arent bad. I just got these new ones this weekend and they're wicked. I replaced my TSW1500SPLs because I blew BOTH of them with my Directed 750D. It's quite interesting considering the amp is 750RMS and 1200 max, and each sub is 600RMS and 1500 max. I just couldn't understand that. The new subs are 800RMS and 2500 max EACH. :) I'm thinking I'm somewhere around 140dB as of now and will jump when I deaden the car. There was an SPL comp in Midland and the highest guy was 141.something. My buddy has an S10 with four JL 15s and it hits 152dB though. :D

Check out the generic sound deadener in Parts Express catalog. Goes on black with a very strong adhesive backing.

I used to wonder why people had 6x9s too. Rip those plastic housings out and let the bass pour into your car.

A nice set of crossovers with tweets and mids will sound 10 X better than 6x9s anyway.

C'mon everyone knows that rattling trunk lids are a sign of superiority..lol :lol:

But seriously.....I never was able to totally remove all my rear deck vibrations. But I didnt really try all that hard. Plus with my car having 260,000+ KM's everything tends to rattle anyways.

But ya as the others have said. Get some sound deadener. Edead is $1- 1.50 per Sq Foot Depending on which version you chose.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/us.php?cur=USD

my friend has a 12" 1500spl, iirc and it doesnt handle near the rated max rms, but it still sounds/hits good. he has 2 old pp12's that havent been used since the car was totalled like 3 years ago :lol: