Jeff M

Hope you guys don't mind, I was able to borrow a digital camera (till I decided which one I want some day) and I have wanted to get some pics of this engine bay. There is so much more there than a pic can show, not just that the entire engine, tranny, suspension, engine bay area/engine cradle and interior have been worked on but there are so many details that take a lot of time nosing around to see. It's not mine but there are enough hours in it that it should be :-). Actually its Kevin Hieder's (from CA) TGP, I have done a ton of work, upgrades and restoration to it here in MN. It’s gotten to be a real nice TGP, but like any owner, if you take some time and commitment the same results can be achieved, I think these cars are worth it.

So, hope you guys enjoy it, thanks for watching.

Jeff M

Kevin%20TGP%20engine%20bay3%20smaller.jpg

Just got some pics emailed to me from a few TGP owners, more of those polishing their prize (after a 4 year wait, I will soon get to do mine :-) ). Thanks guys for the pics, and I also have permission to add them to the web site for others to admire our sweet little V6s. And yep, those are stock GM wires James, seen so many aftermarket upgraded wires with much higher ohms per foot than stock, and many of those aftermarket wires came to me as causes in engine running problems, aside from them coming apart when taken off, even with care! Now before anyone feels they gotta blast me, the Magnacores are some excellent pieces, run them on my other car/truck, and Accel and Jacobs makes some good upgrades as well, maybe others but have not seen these for our engine yet. Back to stock, only wish they still made them with the cylinder numbers on them, seen so many come to me mismatched, it’s easy mix them up, so now I just run a wire label around them to get them back to being nearly as good as stock looking. On ignitions, heard of a few more Accel coils going bad, I bought mine soon after they came out but never had a chance to get to run my car, so guess they will go before they cause any problems. Just wish Jacobs was getting faster at keeping up with the competition as they have had an UltraCoil upgrade out for a couple of years, but still does not show up on their web site for sale. Curtis Walker has run these up to 7,000 rpms and they are hanging on great (enjoyed talking with him for 5 hours one night/morning last week), maybe even higher rpm but our TGPs don’t want past 5,400 rpms stock! I talked with a rep from Jacobs back last year at the SEMA show and all he said was that he was still trying to find a blue color to get that coil to match their product line up, soooooo!? Still waiting!!

For anyone looking at the engine pic, explode it as I left it with some spare resolution. Yes that is some of that FireSleeve running on the 2 fuel lines, gray looks ok and better than the popular orange (why still orange?). And the same on the TV cable that goes right next to the downpipe, helps that plastic sheathing last. Some other items on there to check out.

So, just an update.

Jeff M

Looks SWEET! Very clean engine bay! If your interested in jet coating the manifolds or powdercoating anything let me know. The jet coating is pollished and makes a GREAT heat barrior.

Shane

Thanks cavy, and for the update on the coils, mine are some of the 1st made so lucky me. As for coating some parts, I like the idea, you mean like this 8) ?

My%20TGP%20coated%20engine%20parts.jpg

Just had some repeated issues with JetHot, quality control was not doing so good, even after I sent many parts back, then worse when it was redone Sorry and I don't like to have something to say bad but that was a bummer. High Performance Coatings/HPC did a lot of work on my truck and everything was top notch, and not too bad of a price either. Swain and others have some great stuff, little pricey but the stuff looks good, works well and last!

Jeff M

Thanks, those shiny parts are on my TGP now, but since I spend my time doing TGP emails and related projects for other TGP owners, have not driven that TGP for 4 years now, but things are finally coming together so this year it will run, and at the track, looking to give the TGP community good bragging rights for our cars!! As for the ‘Blanketâ€Â, the only one there in that pic is a blanket of snow :-), sorry. The parts there are the; alternator bracket, timing chain cover, front dog-bone/AC bracket, both exh manifolds, upper and lower intake, radiator hose neck and the only valve cover you can see while on the engine. The cast stuff I had to first do a lot of grinding and polishing so that when coated it would have a better final finish. It took many hours to (can’t see it there) sand and polish the throttle body so it matched the finish of this stuff. Can't think of a better car to spend time on!

Jeff M

In the other pic that is a NNOS (Nearly New Old Stock :-) ). What I did for that guy’s TGP was to very carefully take off the two sections of the blanket and paint them with high-temp silver, then bake slowly in my BBQ Grill, then carefully reinstall. Returns them to better than new appearance, and helps fill the fabrics pours so stains are less likely to take a hold.

Sorry I am getting excited using this buddies camera, been wanting to share some of the goods I have gathered over the years, I do enjoy these cars, there is a rich history hiding there.

That is a Carrillo Rod, Cosworth Piston for the Chevy 60 Degree V6, 1989 Base Ball Cap from the Daytona 500 where the TGP was the pace car, and a Garrett Racing Cap, the rest is just fluff.

Jeff M

TGP%20Cap%20parts.jpg

what I want to know is what progress is being made with the heads? :D I am in the process of getting my upper intake, front valve cover, dog bones, and dogbone mounting plates chromed. The want like $200 for the upper intake alone :( $$$$$$$

Thanks cavy, and for the update on the coils, mine are some of the 1st made so lucky me. As for coating some parts, I like the idea, you mean like this 8) ?

My%20TGP%20coated%20engine%20parts.jpg

Just had some repeated issues with JetHot, quality control was not doing so good, even after I sent many parts back, then worse when it was redone Sorry and I don't like to have something to say bad but that was a bummer. High Performance Coatings/HPC did a lot of work on my truck and everything was top notch, and not too bad of a price either. Swain and others have some great stuff, little pricey but the stuff looks good, works well and last!

Jeff M

I actually use a different company other then Jet hot. A local company to me does the coating for me. They do a 2000* coating. I get pretty decent deals.

RedZ

what I want to know is what progress is being made with the heads? :D I am in the process of getting my upper intake, front valve cover, dog bones, and dogbone mounting plates chromed. The want like $200 for the upper intake alone :( $$$$$$$

Like everything I do, it has to be the best or it’s not worth my time and more importantly, the time and money of those looking to get these items. There is nothing I hate more than buying something only to find a little while later, there is something better, and swapping heads is not as simple as swapping in some new memory or whatever is now the latest product to get/have :) you know that 8) . To get an idea how involved a process this is, take a look at this link for some of the background on doing the TGP UltraFlow Gen II heads:

http://www.turbograndprix.com/new_page_2.htm

These are only a month away from production, and the chip that goes with the need for larger injectors to match their extra air flow. There is no reason why someone could not put these on now as long as they are running a stock chip/stock boost, plenty of overkill fuel in the stock chip! Then later swap the chip, larger injectors, new fuel pump and get all the benefits this package can offer!

As for your coating costs, check with RedZMonte (hope you don’t mine me offering you!!!?), he might have a better price, and a better product.

Jeff M

I actually use a different company other then Jet hot. A local company to me does the coating for me. They do a 2000* coating. I get pretty decent deals.RedZ

Sorry, you had said “jet coating†before so thought that was Jet Hot Coating, my mistake :oops: !!

Jeff M

Yea, I have seen them from $1,100 to $1,500, but not many showing numbers, partly the reason for this are the testing variations from like is said at my web site, equipment and it’s last overhaul, calibration or settings/ranges, and ambient conditions, the operator and maybe some massaging of numbers. It also seems those that have 3.1L heads mix the price up by either having “upgraded†parts, some “upgraded†parts, or set the head flow work priced separate, hard to compare apples to apples. Bottom line is there are a lot of hours involved in doing heads for real gains. Too many times it looks like all that is needed is a Port and Polish Kit from Summit, but that is so much different than what a head shop does its not funny. Consistency between ports is something a very skilled operator can only do, I won’t attempt it! I did get lucky (for you guys in the end) in hooking up with these other shops, that was just too awesome seeing the clay molds of our heads and all the others sitting there on the shelf, and the scary huge monster heads for the Pro Guys. I also did my homework before I would talk (or not talk their language) to these shop owners and operators. One of the best learning tools is from David Vizard, his knowledge and experience is to die for, taking his seminar made my day giddy with all these applications and theories now fitting into place and applied to use. Then there was the seminar put on by Ken Sperry of GM MotorSport Racing and Pat Baer of Dodge MotorSports Racing, these guys are thrilling to listen to and learn from, us car guys know the passion we share for our rides, but its great to hear from more who really know their business and are equally as passionate, Ken has a ton of patents and Pat is now slouch either.

So, getting very close on the heads, a lot of stuff is coming to a head.

Jeff M