3.1 into a 2.8?

Riktar

I recently aquired a 1989 Buick Regal with a 3.1 that has a poor body. My existing 89 Buick Regal is from North Carolina (Relatives car) and has suffered the loss of high gear in the tranny. Not to mention the thing blows more smoke (286,000) than a tired 2-stroke. But the body is quite solid.

Is the 3.1 a direct bolt in since both Engine/Transmissions are from the same year make/model car? And would I have too change out the computer as well since there is a difference in motor size?

Thanks for any help.

Yes, the engine is a direct bolt in.

You do not need to change the computer, but it's a good idea to change the MEMCAL (the chip inside the computer) with the one from the donor car.

• 2 weeks later...

One last thing before I ruin my whole weekend (I did take off Monday and Tuesday, just in case.) on this engine swap thing: I have never done a FWD engine/trans swap. I have done 5 RWD Eng/Trans swaps over the years (One was a diesel, what a PITA that was!) so I am not completely clueless on the subject.

From what I have been told the engine must be removed first, AND THEN the tranny can be removed? I was hoping to pull the bad engine/trans out of the "good body", roll the car out of the way, pull the donor engine out of the "bad body", roll that out of the way, and while the engine is still on the hook, push the "good body back in place and install. I am still debating wether I want to bother with reinstalling the bad engine into the other car so I can drive it to the boneyard.

By the way: were is the Computer located on these models?

Thanks

By the way: were is the Computer located on these models?

Thanks

The computer is located in front of the right (pass side) front strut tower.

you could remove the engine and trans as one unit, however I couldnt tell you if it's easy or not. All the 2.8's/3.1's Ive helped remove, we took out the engine first, then trans.