A/C Delete pulley. Much interest?

OldSkoolGP

For those that don't know, there is an A/C delete pulley out there that does fit on most all of the 60 degree V6 engines and some of the 90 degree V6 engines. It does require modification in some instances, but we want to see how many motors we can test fit it on to ensure compatibility. We already know it works on the L67, and the LQ1, though it requires some modification. We still need to try it on a 2.8/3.1, 3100 and/or 3400, 3.5 DOHC, the 3.1 Turbo (LG5) and possibly a Series I 3800 and 3300. How many would be interested in something like this?

Same goes for the 2.8 and 3.1.

I thought bypassing the AC with only a shorter belt spun the waterpump the wrong way

Theres definately not as much contact with the belt on the waterpump than there would be with the delete pulley. That is why it is the proper and correct way of doing it, by adding the delete pulley.

As for the 3X00's (60*'s), they should be very similar to the 2.8/3.1's, if not the same.

I say just buy the pulley. It's not much more than buying a shorter belt.

Also you get better mileage on the highway with the ac than windows down.

Well you have to buy a shorter belt either way. So the pulley just adds to the total cost. IMHO, running a shorter belt doesn't give enough coverage to the water pump for me to trust it without the idler. GM would appear to agree, or they wouldn't have created one.

Guest TurboSedan

just look at the picture i posted - i would not say just throwing a shorter belt on there without the pulley would be "ok". you'd have very very little belt contact on the water pump pulley. like mihela816 mentioned, GM made the A/C delete pulley for a reason, and the reason should be obvious.

as far as belts go - buy a serpentine belt for an '88 2.8L Corsica without A/C and you'll be set.