Rattling noise again....

NeonHomer

Okay.. I am returning to this noise problem... It sounds like something loose, but a friend of mine says it might be a wrist pin going bad. I am trying to find a way to find out w/o tearing the motor apart. The engine (2.8) has good oil pressure and idles okay.

I pulled the spark plug wire from the #5 cylinder, and the noise did not change. (I had a hard time keeping the car running, though.)

I hate to get rid of this car before I can really get a chance to drive it..

Listen mate, if its internal then you will be able to tell by your exaust. You will be burning oil or miss firing on one cylinder etc... Listen very carfully. It could be timing belt/chain, alternator bearing or any other moving part outside your engine. Good Luck. :D

I thought it might be a bad cat. However, when i put a mechanic's stehoscope on the exhaust near the cat, i dont hear the rattling there. When standing in front of the engine, is sounds like it is comin from the tranny. When I listen to the engine with the `scope, I really dont hear anything out of the ordinary, except a ticking noise when i put the scope near the freeze plug on the transaxle side of the motor, towards the rear. I'm gonna pull the tranny dust cover today and see if the torque converter bolts might be loose, but i doubt it.