Hinge pins

LukeZ34

Any other convertible owners having problems with their doors closing? My drivers side door acts like the hinge pins bent or something. It closes hard, and opens hard, and it's scraping off the paint on the lower molding of the car. So it's certaintly sagging, but how do you go about fixing this?

I'm compiling a big list of things I need to do to the car. When and if I sell the sammy, I'm gonna use that money on the cutlass to get it fixed up.

Ouch. New hinges is the only solution, unfortunately.

GM doesn't sell the hinge pins separately, even though they CAN be removed. How dumb is that? Help/Motormite brand doesn't carry them either. At least not when my friend checked his book.

Hinges are about $30/set I think. They come plated in a corrosion resistant coating, zinc maybe? At any rate, the instructions say not to paint them, which is odd because the original hinges are painted.

You replace them through the wheel well with the door shut.

That's another thing that's FUBAR on my drivers side door, that little bar that holds the door open.

Thanks for the help guys, where can I get these hinges? GM Dealer? Got a part number?

I need to get this done soon. Ocassionally I can't even open the door, it's sagging so badly that the interior door panel gets caught.

I'll get you the p/n tonight.

The door-holder-open thingie is called a "check link" and I have a p/n for it too, because I had to buy one for the 94 convertible also. The original one was broken in 2 pieces.

A far shot but, are you sure its not body flex? after all it is a convertable unibody, not exactly the strongest structure. after all it used to be a problems with convertable unibodies

Ouch. New hinges is the only solution, unfortunately.

GM doesn't sell the hinge pins separately, even though they CAN be removed. How dumb is that? Help/Motormite brand doesn't carry them either. At least not when my friend checked his book.

Hinges are about $30/set I think. They come plated in a corrosion resistant coating, zinc maybe? At any rate, the instructions say not to paint them, which is odd because the original hinges are painted.

You replace them through the wheel well with the door shut.

I need to replace the drivers door hinge set. Replacing with door shut sounds easier than trying to support the door and remove hinges one at a time. Hopefully they are self-aligning.

I don't think they're self-aligning. The instructions say to place masking tape on the door and fenders to ensure alignment. Then replace the hinges one at a time. The instructions make it sound real easy doing it through the wheel well. I haven't tried it yet. Penny's 88 and my 89 both need new driver side hinges. The 94 convertible, luckily, has good driver side hinges.

You can verify the hinges are bad if you can lift up and down on the door and there's any play at all.

• 11 years later...

Would b easier to support the door and go thru the door jamb

GnatGoSplat, Is there a way to get our hands on the instructions ? As anyone benn successfull at changing the hinges from the Wheel well ?

At least your check link is just broken...it appears the previous owner of my car hyperextended the door, and broke the internal framing in the door the check link attaches to. Pretty certain that's what happened, because where mine attaches to the door frame up front, obvious welding has taken place.:think:

Alright, thanks shawn..

Mine's probably broken too.. stupid, cheap ass parts.

• 7 years later...

Hey guys. Are these still available? Can anybody share a source? Pictures and experience? Woild really appreciate that. Thanks. 

On 2/1/2022 at 1:01 AM, GabsOlds said:

Hey guys. Are these still available? Can anybody share a source? Pictures and experience? Woild really appreciate that. Thanks. 

There is a couple on Ebay right now.  For the drivers door, it's part #10218446 for the lower and upper hinge kit.  Passenger side is #10218445 also for the upper and lower hinge kit.  I'm assuming you'll need a total of 4 hinges?  Ebay is only showing 2 NOS ones available.  As always, cross check and get detailed pics to make sure it's the correct ones before committing to buy.

On 2/2/2022 at 10:31 PM, jiggity76 said:

There is a couple on Ebay right now.  For the drivers door, it's part #10218446 for the lower and upper hinge kit.  Passenger side is #10218445 also for the upper and lower hinge kit.  I'm assuming you'll need a total of 4 hinges?  Ebay is only showing 2 NOS ones available.  As always, cross check and get detailed pics to make sure it's the correct ones before committing to buy.

Thank you for the info. My doors have been sagging for a long time.