wiring question

nick90euro

hey i got a 90 lumina and i was wondering where the easiest/best place to pull the wires through the firewall is? also to hide the wires in the car, do i put them under the carpet near the doors?

Near the master cyl. there is a rubber grommet. they come thru above the brake petal.

The floor vents are the best place to run them back. I did it along the side, but if you disable the rear seat vents. that is the best

Here's a pic of said grommet:

firewall.jpg

See where the large red wire passes through the firewall? It's a grommet that blocks off the hole in the firewall where the clutch master cylinder would mount on a manual transmission car. Run a drill bit through it to poke a hole, then use a solid-core wire (or I suppose even a wire coat hanger) taped to your amp's power wire to pull it through.

As far as running your wires to the back of the car, I removed the sill plates and all trim connected to them and ran my wires inside the plastic conduit that carries the car's main wiring from front to back...

That conduit is cool for power wire and stuff but I would run an rca down through the heater vents because they need to be isolated from any power cables anyway then a shorter rca could be used too.

I ran my 4ga power wire and the amp turn-on wire down the driver's side, and the speaker wires and RCA cables down the passenger side.

BTW, my Regal doesn't have any vents running to the rear seats. I don't know if any 1G W-Bodies did for that matter, either...

ok, thanks guys...i got all my wires run but how do i get the rca's & remote into where the radio sits? that should be my last question so ill let ya kno how it sounds..(prolly like shit but whocares?, i got it for free.....btw its a 12" alpine type E sub in a q logic box w/ a 250w explode amp and pioneer deh1400 hu)

Remove the trim and the kick panels underneath the dash. Tuck the wires under the carpet as they run from the sill plates across the front of the car. With the under-dash kick panels removed, you should easily be able to fish the wires up behind the dash to where the stereo sits.

The last 3 W-bodies I've owned have the little vents under each of the seats, but I wouldn't even consider using those to run cables in. Running them down the sides has always worked for me, and the only time I had noise issues it was caused by a poor ground.

Keep your wiring simple, run them were the other wires are run. I wouldn't worry about noise coming from the stock wires, as most car audio signal cables now a days are designed to block the interference, even the cheap ones.

whoa youre the manager?!?! I guess I won't argue with you too much.

I will say though, I did not have enough room to run my 4 sets of triple shielded rca cable until I took out the passenger seat and modified the plastic housing with a razor knife. At that point I could have just disabled the useless floor vents and ran them there. Instead of using 3 17' rca's ,12 footers could work maybe.

I filled up both sides and had to make a custom wireway over the back hump. And yes it is filled with wires. mostly mobile video system mixed with aux. input rca hub. But you only see a cupholder there 8)

whoa youre the manager?!?! I guess I won't argue with you too much.

Oh drop it.

I was just saying it's usually easier to use the sides of the car for audio cables. But in your case where you have all the extra things in your car, the vents were probably an easier solution.