Rear leaf spring help!

Bizzo

Hi Guys,

Haven't posted on here in ages, mainly because I don't have a w-body anymore. My brother recently purchased a 94 Cutty and his leaf spring cracked in half because the mounting arm? on the driver's side broke that was holding up the spring. We called around a few places and every says we have to order the part from the dealer and the dealre wants $500. Is there anywhere else I could find this part a lot cheaper? used or new. There aren't too many junkyards around here but i will try to contact them to see if they have any used one. Otherwise anybody have any ideas?

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

#22188503 ($367.92 w/ shipping)

or

#22188504 ($342.05 w/ shipping)

Not sure which one it is. One was listed as "Spring, Rear" and the other was "Spring". They're both the same picture though. 504 is listed as a heavy duty spring and 503 is listed as a standard spring but 504 is pricier.

Someone else will have to reply to this to double-check, but those are the two parts that are showing up. Big difference from the $500. Listed as special order though so expect a little while for shipping (like 2 weeks I think).

Shit you guys respond quick! I appreciate it. As far as my zip goes it's 13126 and thanks for the quotes on gmpartsdirect. 92gp let me know how much you want for that one in your garage.

Since the topic came up, i have one that is bent slightly. SHould i replace mine too?

Also, try you-pull-it type junk yards. I bet it would cost you less than $30, or in some cases free if the place cant even identify what you pulled. I went to one last weekend and got 11 parts, they only charged me for 3.

Well i've found the leaf spring for a lot cheaper than the dealer price. My next question is how hard would this be for us to do ourselves? My dad is mechanically inclined and has been working on cars all his life, but we don't have a garage and only have a limited set of tools. Any one who has done this recently care to tell me what tools and amount of labor and expertise is involved in changing out the rear leaf spring?

Well i will explain how i did it.

Place the rear on jack stands, remove tires, place hydrolic jack under knuckle and jack it up enough so it holds the strut up.

You will need to loosen the 2 - 15mm bolts at the top of the strut.

*** If you dont have the jack in place to hold the spring youll be in trouble**** Lower the jack slowley and make sure that the strut is free to move and not stuck in place. Lower the jack until there is no more tension in the spring. Repeat on other side.

Remove center jack pad and both plates which hold the spring up. (10mm bolts) You may have to remove the bolt holding the trailing arm on one side to get the spring out, or put the replacement in. I recommend removing the bolt at the front or the trailing arm. (i had no luck removing the other bolt connected to the knucle) i think this is an 18mm bolt?? possible 15mm.

I have pictures i can post later today.

EDIT: There is another method with a leaf spring compressor. (Gnatgosplat) And to answer your orignal question. Fairly easy, I have done this 4-5 times already, and can get it done in about 2 hrs.

yea if you have a leafspring compressor it'll help a LOT.

It's one of those tool that you can NOT rent at any store that i know of. That'd just be too damn convenient :evil: :twisted:

But when i pulled mine off, well i had never done it before, and i'd rather just start screwing with shit without asking questions :mrgreen: :lol:

I wound up with the knuckle on the ground (one side) and that got it out!

Fortunately for you pulling yours, it's already broken, so it won't take a lot.

But if you've seen the newer (good) spring, you'll notice it's almost shaped like a goddamn horseshoe! So make sure your backend is nice and high in the air to allow room just for that fucker to get up in there.

FOrtunately for my install, i had the birchmount which has like 1/2 the shape the stock spring does :lol:

If you can invest in some tools, you can pretty much do anything on this car with the following Sockets and wrenches:

T55 (starhead)

1/4"

8mm

10mm

13mm or 1/2"

15mm

18mm

21/22mm? not common though

32mm (axle socket)

Thanks for the info. Yeah these cars are simple to work on and the parts for them are plentiful wish I still had mine, now i'm driving a foreign 4 banger...would love to get another possibly a GTP or a Z34 when I have some extra money.

I would get the factory service manual but my brother is the one with the wbody now not me...and since he's only 17 he doesn't have much cash...might just pick up a cheap chilton's or something though.

Ok I have another question. We got the old leaf spring out but when we go to put the new one in the one side goes in no problem but the other side overlaps the plate the leaf spring rests on. Since I don't have the leaf spring compressor and i can't get the center bolt on the top of the strut to come off so I can get the leaf spring in place do I just drop the whole knuckle itself.

• 1 year later...

bumping this thread up because I will be needing it soon....anyone have pics of a removal/install of the rear leaf spring?

if you have good knowledge of cars....you should be able to figure it out when your under there.....