Would this be excessive engine movement??? *VIDEO* 10mb

1990lumina

The below file is 10mb...so unfortunately 56k will have a hard time viewing the video, sorry about that.

http://media.putfile.com/engine-movement-reverse-vibration

After watching this video of my engine rocking back and forth, would you say this is excessive engine movement and/or some engine/tranny mounts are worn/broken??

When you are watching the video, keep in mind when the engine goes forward I believe I am shifting it into reverse (And if you have been following my posts you'll know there is quite a audiable *clunk* when I shift into reverse.

Also, when I put the camera on the dash, I didn't want it to come out like that, I was trying to put you in my car, but the camera was mounted to anything so it just tipped back and forth.

Anyway, is this excessive movement of the engine, or not really?? I've checked the vacuum modulator on my tranny, and it appears to be fine.

- Jeff L.

Looks like the motor mount in the cradle is shot, mine was doin pretty much the same shit, plus vibrations at high speeds (100+), welded in a solid mount (piece of pipe) and ta da, all set.

Well I've noticed when I kicked it down at 65mph and it hits second gear, there is a *thunk*...I thought fuck now what's wrong with the tranny (I thought it had slipped)...but now I believe my problems (most of them) to be worn out mounts....I'm just not smart enough to know which ones.

theres 4 mounts on a 3.1, 2 dogbone, motormount on the bottom front right of the cradle and the tranny mount behind the drivers side tire. the lower mount is oil filled and they end up leaking. go investiage

When I noticed my bad front rubber dogbone bushings being shot on my old 92 GP, you could physically see the dry-rotting. Like just take one of the dogbones off and look at the bushing...if its cracked, its bad. Usually the driver's side one will crack first b/c its right by the upper radiator hose and gets more heat. To alleviate the problem with the upper mounts, I drilled the engine side of the mount hole out, making it a constant diameter hole instead of having the taper in the middle. Then, I bought two poly-urethane 1 3/4" bushings for a fiero and put those in. I orginally did this on both sides of each mount, but I got too much vibration back through the car for my liking. So, I redrilled a second set, just drilling out the engine side of each mount and installed the bushings. My engine doesnt move at all and the car doesnt vibrate at all. Perfect.

as old as your car is I would say the bottom mounts are most likely shot. You have an engine mount on the passeger side almost diretly below the crank pulley im not entirely sure wehre the trans mount is, I think its directly oppsite the engine mount under the bell housing.

Your dog bone mounts may also be shot and you can either replace them with stock or poly. One note on poly is that they dont absorb vibration as much and transmit more of that vibration into the body so you will feel the engine alot more. If that doenst bother you I saw go for the poly as it will make your shifts more firm and true as well as allow more power to the ground rather than get lost in the virbration.

Once you get all your monts replaced and esp if you go for poly dogbones your engine should hardly move at all.

Are'nt the bottom mounts a 2 piece bolt up design that floats in a rubber block???

im not sure about the other w-bodies but mine is like that, its a big rubber block that sits in the cradle and has 2 bolts on a metal bracket that hold it to the eninge and another set to hold the mount in the cradle.

Before I changed my lower mount and dogbone, rocking the car by hand would make the engine move through the whole damn compartment. Definitely looks like your lower one is shot though.

Okay, so it seems I'll be checking out the lower mounts. SOmeone said they are oil filled or something. What exactly should I look for as far as deteroration??? I'm knew to this type of stuff so I wouldn't know exactly what a bad mount would look like.

Also, the top dog bones if I grab them I can slightly move them up and down with my hands, so they are fairly worn out to I would guess.

Son of a bitch lol...how much would the new mounts be (the lower ones)???

And what's this about GP1138s car???

Okay, so it seems I'll be checking out the lower mounts. SOmeone said they are oil filled or something. What exactly should I look for as far as deteroration??? I'm knew to this type of stuff so I wouldn't know exactly what a bad mount would look like.

Also, the top dog bones if I grab them I can slightly move them up and down with my hands, so they are fairly worn out to I would guess.

All the mounts are urethane rubber. I paid a little under $90 a piece for the lower mounts. A set of poly inserts for the dogbones run about $60. I think stock replacement for the dogbones are like $80 from a stealership.

Unfortunatly I think your stuck with stealership parts too. Theres not aftermarket ones that I know of and this is something your dont really want to steal of a junker. The good news is once all done they will last you for another 100k or more.

My old Grand Prix had the wonderful cradle bolt problem and broke one of them in the beginning of '04. I then proceeded to drive to Michigan on three cradle bolts. The engine was free to move about the underhood bay. God knows how the hell I got out there and back no problems.

I miss that car, though.

john89lesig.jpg

R.I.P. :bawl:

All the mounts are urethane rubber. I paid a little under $90 a piece for the lower mounts. A set of poly inserts for the dogbones run about $60. I think stock replacement for the dogbones are like $80 from a stealership.

Unfortunatly I think your stuck with stealership parts too. Theres not aftermarket ones that I know of and this is something your dont really want to steal of a junker. The good news is once all done they will last you for another 100k or more.

I found my poly bushings for ~$18/pair

luky, you gen 1s have round ones on both ends dont you? The funky square ones on the 1.5s run $56. I wonder if the round end is still the same size for both styles though. I still have stock urethane on that end. hmmmm

luky, you gen 1s have round ones on both ends dont you? The funky square ones on the 1.5s run $56. I wonder if the round end is still the same size for both styles though. I still have stock urethane on that end. hmmmm

The 3100s are a different diameter bushing. To drill the 3.1L doggones out to work with a fiero poly-U bushing, you need a 1 3/4 hole saw and lots of 3 in 1 oil

Yeah, way too much movement there. I'd start with the top dogbones, and see how much that helps. If there is still excessive movement, go for the bottom ones.

BTW, where can you get a set of bottom mounts, and can they be changed without going to a mechanic to do it?