Back spark plug wires, how to remove?

cizin

I have a 3100 in my 95 Lumina and have pleny of room to get them without rocking the engine. So I think. I did the front 3 and the boots were very tight. When I moved to the back ones, I tuggen and tugged. The wires are fine, I kinda wanted to keep them. I can't seem to get them to budge. I even borrowed my neighbor's "Spark Plug Wire Removal Tool". I get that thing latched on and they still won't budge. Any suggestions? Will I hurt my engine if I drive with 3 rapid fires upfront and 3 old stadard delcos in the back?

OK well at this point after about 5 hours of working on it, scraping my hands up, and the heat, I just want them off anyway I can. I am about to get a knife out and cut the sobs off.

If you can't get them off then get someone bigger to do it.. lol

The worst that can happen is the metal piece will tear off the boot and stay on the plug.. not a big deal.

The connectors are more than likely rusted to the plugs. You won't be able to save the wires if they're that difficult to remove. Just tug hard on each wire to strip it off from the connector, then pull off the boot and take a pliers to the connector to remove it from the plug.

Be sure to squirt some Dielectric Grease inside the new plug wires' boots so you can easily remove them the next time you change the plugs :) ...

It happened to me too, i just pulled really hard until the wire ripped off and the metal piece was still in the saprk plug. Then i just took off the spark plug like any other with the metal piece in it. O and yeah, Replace ur wires.

yeah ... just pull on them wires .. You should replace your wires anyway... sounds like they been on the motherfu... i mean car.. for a lil too long. and don't forget the grease when you put the new ones back on.

Well the wires came off last night but there is a much bigger problem than wires. I have what I think is a crossthreaded plug in #1. I took it to the dealer today to see what they could do. The plugs were replaced by a dealer about 50k ago so my father is seeing what he can do about that. They are going to call me back once they get the plug out but it looks like they will have to take the head off. I am haveing such bad luck the past few days I am just going to cry. I am suppose to go on this trip thurs but who knows now. I was told $1000+ if they have to take the head off... Well I will keep u updated but this sux. Ohh yea, I was putting Delco rapid fires in the car and now they will remove them cuz they say it will not work with my car. There went $30 down the drain.

Ohh yea, I was putting Delco rapid fires in the car and now they will remove them cuz they say it will not work with my car. There went $30 down the drain.

Uh.. why won't the RapidFire's work?

I have no clue. The dealership told me they won't work on my car or warrenty and of the work unless I put plugs that were for my car in it. I am having them save the 5 plugs that are in there so I can put them in later. They are full of shit and just trying to bend me over.

Man, for a thousand bucks you could swap in a low mileage boneyard 3400. I wonder how badly the spark plug was cross threaded? I cross threaded a spark plug in my old 93 Cavalier, and I was able to snug a new plug in there and it ran fine (I even changed it out again after 20k or so, and the next plug I put in there held just fine.) I'd try to see if you can thread a new spark plug in there, and if it wiggles around or not. If it's a good snug fit, then drive around for a few days, as the heating/cooling of the aluminum head should "fuse" the plug in the hole, and you should be just fine...

Well my BUTT hurts!

Ok all done $353.12. The car runs and will take me on the trip. This service bullitin that they told me existed, doesn't. Basically the only plugs listed under my VIN where the regular and platnum. That is why they couldn't put rapid fires in my car. After paying and then speaking to the service manager the truth finally came out. No problem, my other plugs will go back to the store. Hopefully before I need new plugs again, I will have a L67!

WTF? Why were platinum plugs listed for your car? It's highly recommended NOT to use platinum plugs, as our cars use a waste spark ignition system and platinums wear out rather quickly because of that.

WTF? Why were platinum plugs listed for your car? It's highly recommended NOT to use platinum plugs, as our cars use a waste spark ignition system and platinums wear out rather quickly because of that.

platinum plugs where OEM in my car nad now im running raipidfires in it

After paying and then speaking to the service manager the truth finally came out

lol notice you had to pay before the truth came out?? bad luck happens to all of us but man that was gut wrenching. glad your heads are okay. good luck on your trip 8)

• 5 years later...