Front struts question

oldspwr

I'll be changing the front struts in the olds. I'm purchasing kyb's for the front along with their front shock mount. My question is do i need to buy the front strut boots? i guess you can only change them if you actually remove the whole spring/strut assembly and not by replacing out the cartridges.

If you're changing them from the top (i.e. you're not removing the whole knuckle from underneath the car) there's no way you can change out the boots. If you absolutely need new boots, then you have to remove the whole works to get the old ones off.

A little word of warning to ya: If you install the KYB cartridges through the top, the little "rod" that's included in the strut removal tool kit (to maneuver the strut into proper position) won't thread onto the KYB struts' shaft (the thread pitch is different.) I found that you can jockey the strut into position by turning the steering wheel until it's lined up properly, though, so it isn't that big a deal...

Yeah i just checked the original struts on the car and they dont have any boots on them, you can see the shaft on them. I guess i'm gonna have to remove the entire assemble. Does anyone have any info on how to remove the entire strut/coil assembly?

• 2 weeks later...