Going for more air.

94cutlatized

The muffler shop's owner is a friend of mine, he can custom fit anything in my car that has to do with tubing and steel. Well thats what he said, so the first thing that came to my head was those k&n filters that look like intercoolers, the guy said that it could be mounted in front towards the bottom, (no shit!) and gave me an idea to find a small very high rpm elect. fan that could fit in a 3" pipe to suck more air. I'm not asking if it can be done, because it can be done, but will it work better, or is there a better idea, no, not turbos jaja, i still owe him 200 bucks from the mufflers, so cant spend too much money, probably about $250 if anyone has a better idea that falls in this range of money for a good intake system, please let me know. If you all think this isa good idea and that it might work i;ll get it started in 3 weeks when i finish paying the guy :shock: Thanks alot

After re-reading that a few times...

first, K&N filters that look like intercoolers? :shrug:

second, moving the intake "in front towards the bottom," i.e. what sounds to be a cold air intake, will help power, but very slightly. I don't know where exactly you plan on going with it but keep in mind the more bends/longer tubing you have, the more it's going to hurt performance, not help. You'd be better off relocated the battery to the trunk and running a pipe and cone filter into the driver's side fender.

third, no electric fan. No. Short of some ACTUAL means of boosting a vehicle (turbocharger/supercharger), adding any type of blowing device will not do shit to help performance. You could spend $200 on one of those eBay "electric turbos" (read: electric leaf blower motor) and maybe gain a single horsepower. Not what I call worth the time/money.Anything else will just create even more of a restriction to the air that would naturally be sucked in by the engine.

Intercool K&N = ???

Cold air intake = Yes but fender mounted

Electric fan = NO

the fan part wont do anything for you, your car will suck more air than an electric fan will push.

However as you can see pictured this is a common ram-air type of setup that is avaible for alot of imports. Im not entierly sure if its better than a fenderwell since the desgin does not lend itself to acting as a ram-air setup. Its more for looks than anything and gets dirty as hell very quickly.

Sure the intercooler design is a bit ghey

cai is not rice at all. but trying to fake an intercooler definitely fits in the rice category.

then there's the fact that you would be cleaning your air filter every few days since it would be collecting a buttload of extra dirt...

exactly, might as well do a fenderwell if your not going to try and make an actual ram air setup, and even if your doing ram air, this would be a retarded way to do it.

oh but they have a 1.7 psi fan now :lol: . i want to see one of these on a dyno. and not dyno slips they have posted on their site or something like that. i mean someone neutral should test it. like maybe two guys garage on speed channel or something

The e-RAM Electric Supercharger is still a debatable topic.. one guy on here has one and claims to have gotten a better track time, but to me it's not worth the money.

The "intercooler" style CAI has a large surface area, but as others said it would get dirty real fast. Think of all the BUGs that would get in there! :shock: And putting a fan on it would do absolutely nothing, if anything it would just put unnessesary oad on your alternator.

well, thanks alot people, i just cant really understand how people are so negative about trying new things on these engines which have very little performance parts available.

hey, nobody said anything bad about a cold air intake. some of us are just of the opinion that a fake intercooler is gay, and more than likely impractical.

i'm all for a cold air intake. maybe even a dual-headed intake to increase surface area. but you'll never catch me putting a fake intercooler on my car, or pretending to like it on someone else's car to save feelings.

but damnit, if you want a fake intercooler, who gives two shakes of a donkey d*ck what some people off an internet forum think?

If the first post would be read correctly, it does not say anything about a fake interrcooler at all, i dont know why this keeps coming up, i talked about the k and n filter that looks like an intercooler.

maybe if you worded it differently? it seems if the fake intercooler in the pic i posted isn't what you are talking about, noone here seems to have any idea what else it could be