FFP ud pulley...a hazard???

futuretgper

ok so......i bought a FFP underdrive pulley......and im like "hey dad check out my new pulley" and he tells me "dont' put that thing on ur car ull set up vibrations and shit in ur crank and rip up ur bottom end" he says because it no longer has a rubber ring it won't do its job....it sounds valid and there have been some reports of this.....but it still seems like theres no way this could slip through the cracks so easily when all i hear is good stuff about this mod.......so anyone credit or discredit this complaint....basically my dad likes to piss on all my parades (asshole)....so i just wanted to see if the FFP ud could be a hazard!???!?!?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron

• manitcor

• futuretgper

• Garrett Powered

There are like hundreds of people that had had it on their car for THOUSANDS of miles and I havn't heard of an issue yet. I ran one myself for a while, and it did nothing harmful to the car 8)

Yah, becuz the hundreds of people using it everyday for thousands of miles on OUR CARS, not 3000GTs, must be wrong. It really is blowing every W-body engine on this board, seriously, it is!

FFP does have a disclaimer on their insruction sheet about the lack or a damper.

The disclaimer is here:

http://www.fastfwdperformance.com/pulley%20instructions.pdf

I was just looking at the install, because I am considering getting a UDP sometime soon, and wanted to see how difficult it may be.

Not to thread jack, but staying on topic. I'm a little confused by the 3 different places they suggest applying a lube or antiseizein the instructions. I understand the grease on the outer ring of the pulley where it rubs the front crank seal. I am confused on where to apply the antiseize and silicone. The Anti sieze is supposed to go on the inside of the pulley before pressing it on. So they say to apply silicone to the keyway, do they mean put silicone in the slot for the keyway in the pulley? or put silicone on the keyway on the crank itself?

Thread jack over. Thank you.

Any performance part can run a risk of damage, FFP would probably say that this pulley is safe and not have to print the disclaimer if there weren't people out there ready to sue because their 170,000 mile engine blew up after installing a UDP and going out and ripping the shit out of the car.

Just my .02

That is exactly it.

The UDP was one of the first mods done to my car, done at 121k. The motor spun a bearing at 127k, was rebuilt, and it now has 135k, every single mile with the UDP on. I did not use any grease, oil, or antiseize upon installation. I took the old one off and put the new one on.

I installed mine on both of my cars with antiseize and silicone in the keyway and have had absolutely no problems with mine. Although I don't have lots of miles on mine, I noticed no vibrations in either car and it provided a nice power gain. I put around 5k or so on the Lumina with one and ~1500 miles or so on the STE.

Shawn

im also confused about where the three places to lube are....

heres the link:

http://www.fastfwdperformance.com/udinfo.htm

i can see where they greased the outer surface, and where they put silicone on the inside where the key is......but where do they put the anti-sieze......it says: 9. APPLY ANTI-SEIZE TO THE INSIDE BORETO AVOID DAMAGING THE PULLEY AND CRANK!!!

so wheres the inside bore on this picture??

Step09.JPG

maby the rest of the "hole in the donut" around the keyway???

The inside bore is the redish part in the pic, the middle hole in the donut.

So like imagine a cop, and he is sitting in his cop car. He is eating a fresh donut from krispy kreme. Then he gets to the middle of the donut, and there is about a 1" hole there. So know just put your pulley in place of the fresh krispy kreme donut, it is the 1" hole in the middle :wink:

According to what i'm reading, All 60 degree v-6's are internally balanced and do not need a harmonic balancer or an off center weight. True?

yes, 60 degree V6's are internally balanced. However the pulley still absorbs natural vibrations, its more of a damper than anything.

This page deals ONLY with the 3000GT/Stealth cars and Unorthodox Racing's under drive pulleys.

also on that page, it claims the 3000GTs use a harmonic ballancer, wheras our engines are internally ballanced.

good news guys thanks for the help.........anyone else is welcome to post the milage they have on theirs........its always reasuring to see other people running problem free!!!

ok, so the anti-sieze goes inside the hole.....thanks!

So in that pic, the orange stuff is anti sieze right? do you apply silicone on the actual crank inself then?

I feel like a dunce at this for some reason. Silicone can be orange, as well as antisieze too, that is what is confusing me about this install. What part is silicone, and what part is anti sieze?

Yea, my Ford v-6 3.8 on my back-up ride is naturally un-balanced. the 3.1 is a much better design. After reading that torsional vibration stuff though, I would never put one on my TGP

Then you won't do shit to your TGP. If you are worried about the torsional vibration of a neutrally balanced engine, I'd seriously take the turbocharger off. This one time, an impeller spun off of the turbocharger, and got wedged in the throttle plate, causing the car's throttle to stick open, and wreck into a tree!

Those turboes are SO UNSAFE, I'd definately take it off your car!

Yah for real, think about it, use your head. We have already said, there are HUNDREDS of people using one on their 60* V6, and we havn't heard of a SINGLE problem. Not even one. If I were you, I'd be scared of everything, you must be one of the peopel that bubble wraps the entire house in case you trip :roll:

This company close by, called "border engine" can get me an ud pulley for about 160 bucks, i showed them the ffw udp and they said they could make a smaller one. Is this safe? or is it too much. should i just get the ffw udp?