Power Steering Line Replacement

Redfox340

Hi all, long time no posts... especially when it comes to starting one.

Friend has a 1992 Lumina (3.1L) and it's leaking power steering fluid out of the line.

Its on the most passenger line that connects to the pump to the steering rack.

The rubber line after the metal line from the pump is spraying fluid only when the wheel is turned.

The question: how much effort (besides removing the PS pump) does it take to replace the broken line?

Thanks for your help guys; appreciate!

- Erik

Gotcha, didn't know if there wasn't any hidden secrets of removal.

Thanks! And hopefully will tackle this on Wednesday...

Appreciate it!

- Erik

i just pulled my line off here recently...

i found the easiest thing to do, was to cut the line close to the R&P, then put a deepsocket 18 on it, and break it loose. Then put in a new line...and i used 'crows-foot' tool to put it back on. Once i figured out how to do it all, it was relativaly easy...but at the same time, a pain in the ass

Cool; thanks all for the insight... we're tackling it tomorrow!

Appreciate the help, glad to come back and get answers the first time around.

Catch you guys later and take care of those W's!

- Erik

• 3 weeks later...

didnt feel like starting a new topic it refers to this one

i have a 93 cutlass supreme

im getting ready to change my high pressure line, but i dont have a really tall jack, can i just rotate the engine forward, like changing the spark plugs, to access the line or do i need to go from the bottom, and is there any other tools that i will probably need other than the "crows foot" to do all this, havent done this before and it doesnt sound like people are having a really easy time doin this, also can i get a time estimation on how long it should take me thanx for the help

dropping the cradle works wonders for getting at it very painlessly, don't drop the cradle too far tho, otherwise you'll pull the steering colum from the rack - it's a pain to line it up, luckely I got mine on the first try.

there is a heat shield along the rack that will get in your way, so you'll have to remove that too.

there's also a bolt that holds the lines to the timing cover that you'll need to pull outta there.

it's an easy job, took me 30 minutes from start to finish (just to find out the pump went bad from running dry for too long)

--Dave.

im replacing my high pressure line right now, i tried following the line from the reservior and i cant find where it goes, theres a shroud in the way by the exhaust, im looking at it from the top of the engine, ive got the engine leaning forward, any help would be good, dont wanna start undoing lines, i have the crowfoot tool, thanx guys

i got the top bolt undone up by the reservoir but the one done by the pump is a bitch is it easier to just do this from the bottom or which have people found to be the easiest