Front door speaker install - 99 Lumina - any tips?

genEus

I never had the front door panels off my old Lumina, but the rear panel I took off was, like just about every other GM, very straightforward to remove. I have no clue as to how Ford holds their door panels on, but most newer GM's have plastic "push-in style" trim clips that are a bit difficult to remove on the first try. You might want to use a door panel removal tool when trying to pry these clips out, 'cause if you tug on them with your hands, it's possible you could break the "tabs" off of the door panel...

Yeah, the Taurus had plastic push-in clips too... At first I went to the dealer to ask him how to do it, and this burly guy came out, unscrewed the few screws in the door and just ripped the door panel off. :shock: My jaw dropped, but after that the two or three times I screwed around with my speakers I had no problems getting the panels on/off easily...

lcuky you don't have a coupe....putting the rear panels back on and getting those clips to line up with all this black sticky sound proof shit is a pain in the ass!!

That's good you figiured it all out though man! How's the tint workin' for you?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got around to installing them today... And, whaddya know, of course I broke off one stupid f!(#@% clip, the one in the top corner, closest to the door opening. OH. And I made sure I was extra careful with the second door not to do that, and yup, broke that one off too :bash:

Everything else was smooth sailing though. Took the speakers off in 1 minute, unsoldered the wiring harnesses, put them on the new speakers, put the new speakers in in 1 minute and closed the doors up... so, the only big PITA is opening the doors... once that was done, everything else was cake. But, now, if i pull on the velvety covering in the top corner it feels loose... :x

How's the tint workin' for you?

Tint is fine, excep a tiny piece peeled back and I haven't gotten around to going to Ziebart and making them fix it, cuz the fvckers work only Mon-Fri and I haven't felt like losing my lunch hour to doing that yet... after all, I have lifetime warranty, so I can come whenever I want