• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• digitaloutsider

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• Stevo

• Psych0matt

Let's start off with: Cowl hoods belong on muscle cars and sports cars.

We'll end it with: No sports or muscle cars are FWD V6's.

so a vega with a big block and a cowl isn't a muscle car because it came with a streight 6 or inline4? :roll:

FWD
I don't recall Vega's being FWD.

And how stupid do you think I am? What fucking difference would it make what engine it came with? If it has a nice, blown 350 then it's a muscle car. No, wait, according to you I think all the Mustangs and Firebirds of the day that had a V8 transplanted into them must be trash! Give me a break.. :roll:

there are only a select few that look good, maybe a 2 inch at the most cowl. If you're gonna do it, at least take the time and effort to make it fly with the hood, have if molded in and have it look factory, none of this JC Whitney glue on shit

Let's start off with: Cowl hoods belong on muscle cars and sports cars.

We'll end it with: No sports or muscle cars are FWD V6's.

What about gen II Cavalier Z24s... can't tell me they don't look cool.

What about gen II Cavalier Z24s... can't tell me they don't look cool.

Yes I can.

They don't.

Besides, they're not real cowl induction hoods. They're lumps of plastic stuck to the hood.

So fuck a second gen Z24 and the junker's hood you went sledding on. :lol:

They are real cowl induction, at least the 88-90 cav's were. I had one before the cutlass and they were functional

and yes, thats what I had in mind of what might look good, if done right

Yeah if you actually look at the hood on a Z24 you'll see that it routes air directly into the airbox. It's a small crappy airbox and I doubt they really work that good... but still "functional".

Guys, lets not make this thread another arguement about hoods, like the one I posted a while back :lol: From the other thread, we learned that basically everybody was either totally against the idea of an "aftermarket" (in lack of better term) hood or was for it. Basically, its something that you have to decide to you. If you like it enough to do it, then do it, see how it turns out! But I wouldnt put an "aftermarket" hood on a FWD 60* v6 unless it was useful, ie getting air from the outside to in some way help with performance. But other than that use right there, youll find that most people are agaisnt puttin an "aftermarket" hood on. But the arguement will always go both ways.

I'm sorry but the logic of cowl hoods not belonging on fwd's with THAT given reason is just ... plain stupid. I want a real reason, other than some kind of fashion police ideal that a cowl hood does'nt belong on a fwd car.

If someone was to add something to an engine that required clearance. I seriously doubt that they would be stopped by fashion police.

What next? Certain colors don't belong on FWD cars?

well the same can be said for a rear spoiler on a fwd car steveo... other than looks no matter what anybody says they cannot produce enough usable downforce ( wich is what they are meant to do ) on the rear of the car to make any difference whatsoever on a FWD application... factory spoilers are ok in most cases but i just dont understand ppl slapping a huge motherfukin whale tail on a FWD car... it looks stupid

just my 2 pennies in the jar

well the same can be said for a rear spoiler on a fwd car steveo... other than looks no matter what anybody says they cannot produce enough usable downforce ( wich is what they are meant to do ) on the rear of the car to make any difference whatsoever on a FWD application... factory spoilers are ok in most cases but i just dont understand ppl slapping a huge motherfukin whale tail on a FWD car... it looks stupid

just my 2 pennies in the jar

B-I-N-G-O, and bingo was his namo.

plus i like to laugh at the kids with those on their cars.

A cowl on a car is NOT for downforce. Bingo all you want.

A cowl can be used yes for looks but Air Pressure overtop of the hood can pull hot air from beneath the hood and out the rear of it. I would put one on my Cutlass if I setup an intake to avoid engine heat to pull in colder air overtop my hood, or to allow for a heat vent for warm air to pass from the engine compartment (air in from the front and out the back).

A spoiler on back is for fast cars that require rear downforce whether they are rear wheel drive or NOT. Cars do not roll around on 2 front wheels. They still need the 40% braking power and stability of the rear wheels.

Also factory spoilers cannot be accepted in ANY case. The only reason why you say this is because you have become accustomed to what has been slapped on the rear of cars by the manufacturer.

The only reason why Cowls and Spoilers are widely used is because car owners that can put them on do it to 'join the club' thinking it makes their car look like a 'sports-car'. Many don't realize that they COULD be putting them on for effect instead of cosmetic appearance.

As for cowl hoods and spoilers on REAR wheel drive vehicles. I can't think of any cars out there that truly use these to effect either. Maybe Shaker hoods or even the fin on a Superbee. I seriously doubt dumping either on an 81' Cutlass or Mustang and it actually makes a difference over top a 92' Civic or GrandAm.

Serious engineering like 912's and TT's needed variable geometry rear wings. The only case where a manufacturer put a wing on that was'nt about cosmetics.

It's all about taste and practicality.

stevo said

<<A cowl on a car is NOT for downforce. Bingo all you want.

A cowl can be used yes for looks but Air Pressure overtop of the hood can pull hot air from beneath the hood and out the rear of it. I would put one on my Cutlass if I setup an intake to avoid engine heat to pull in colder air overtop my hood. There isn't any clearance>>

i was on your side here steveo i was making reference to the argument and using it against spoilers especially the mostly useless show wings you will find on just about any ricer you look at... pay close attention and MOST of them are relatively flat with little or no aerodynamic form. Of course there are some exceptions but you will find most of them on a RWD car. Lets face it i would say that probably 75-80% ( my guess dont quote me :lol: ) of guys that throw a whale tail on their car arent even considering the down force they just think it looks kewl...

I have always been a hater of whale tails and that will never change, somebody told me that i should put a spoiler on my 81 regal and i agreed so i went and got a laydown lip spoiler off of a GN, buddy said wtf is that and i said it was more functional than just about any wing that wouldnt end up looking friggin stupid on a regal...

:lol: this is turning into a thread by itself

anyways a cowl hood is very tough to pull off with out looking out of place, doesnt matter what car it is on... maybe we can get back on topic here :wink:

A cowl can be used yes for looks but Air Pressure overtop of the hood can pull hot air from beneath the hood and out the rear of it.

WRONG. A cowl hood pulls in the buildup of air that is created at the base of the winshield. Combine With an open air intake near the intake they flow colder air more quickly into the intake thus creating more power. I have a 71 camaro and have been around hotrods all my life. Don't mess me.

A cowl can be used yes for looks but Air Pressure overtop of the hood can pull hot air from beneath the hood and out the rear of it.

WRONG. A cowl hood pulls in the buildup of air that is created at the base of the winshield. Combine With an open air intake near the intake they flow colder air more quickly into the intake thus creating more power. I have a 71 camaro and have been around hotrods all my life. Don't mess me.

I'm pretty sure you're both RIGHT. The design & placement of the "cowl" determines it's functionality. I think I remember reading that certain cowl hoods do allow the air entering the front of the car to escape/partially escape though the raised rear section. The setups that actually take in air have the cowl placed really close to the base of the windshield since it is a high pressure area. I doubt my brother's mustang cowl takes in air "at speed,' I'm pretty sure it allows air to be expelled from the rear of the hood. I know for a fact that at idle/lower speeds, a ton of heat can be witnessed escaping the cowl on the stang. I'll find a picture to post showing the placement of it.....