Bunches of problems fixed

Guest fatguy

Hi all,

Its been a while with school, family and all, but I digress.......

Since Easter I've been chasing a problem of every once in a while my TSTE would just start running like crap going down the road (60-80 MPH). Some symtoms were, shifting all over the place and running EXTREMELY rich. I tried all the common fixes and lots not so common.

I was lead to believe from mechanics over town to be a bad ECM ground, so I took all of them off, cleaned and wire brushed the contact surfaces but no good.

Finally, I broke down and took it in to a shop to have it looked at, and after 7 hours couldn't find anything wrong.....until......the mechanic accidentally leaned on the right side elec. panel (under the hood pass. side) and the car ran great!!!! He then grabbed the wires running up to the panel and could get the car to die the run perfectly!!!!!

To fix this problem, I undid each and every wire from the elec. panel and wire brushed and tightened each connector. WHAMO that was the problem.....the ecm, injectors, and DIS were not getting the proper voltage for operation

Moral of the story, if you can't find why your car is running like a big turd, and have checked what seems to be everything, try CAREFULLY cleaning and tightening these terminals

Corey McCarthy

http://groups.msn.com/turboste

Corey, long time since we last talked, very sorry to hear your plight, but glad you had the determination to find the problem!!! I too would of said the ECM, with the cause a shorted injector, that the ECM will forgive when the faulty injector is replaced, but not yet heard of the wiring for the injectors and ignition getting poor connections at the engine bay passenger side fuse block, THANKS for that tip, with the thousands of emails I have done, if another comes with this sort of problem I will be able to offer more ideas to check!! I have heard of the main cooling fan connections there getting bad over time, mainly from an old fan motor that had bad bearings and was causing too high of an amp load, which overheats the connections at the fan relay (known a few, seen a few). Too bad the fuse is over-rated for the fan since the rear window defogger is shared on that same circuit (that defogger draws a lot of amps on its own!!). This over-size fuse allows the wires going to the relay and the fan to melt when the fan gets overloaded or sometimes seizes up, which it can when it gets around 100K+ miles, I always suggest owners grab the fan blade and move it back and forth (in and out actually), if it has a lot of play, replace it now!!!

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to update us on another successful fix!!

Jeff M