What AMP should i get!?

terryk2003

ok...i'm getting ready to finish (for NOW) my stereo system in my car...right now i have infinity kappa 6x9's in the rear and an alpine cda-9833 HU...i'm gonna be getting some infinity kappa 6.5 components for the front and a custom HU mount and and amp...thing is, i'm not sure what brand of amp is GOOD...i want something thats gonna give this car some punch in the stereo department...anywayz, the 6x9's are 110watt rms and the 6.5's are 90 watt rms, so i'm thinking a 400 watt (or 100x4) amp would work fine!?...is that safe to assume!?...i know i deffinatlly want a 4 channel amp so i can use the fader...specially since this HU has 3 sets of pre-amp outs... :) ...so, advice on a good amp would be appriciated...thanx...

I am assuming that your speakers are 4 ohm, so these are a few amps I suggest looking at:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6983384&type=product&id=1099388650941

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6250451&type=product&id=1069302293115

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6983099&type=product&id=1099388637267

Now, since those front components are only 90 watts RMS, I wouldn't suggest going anything higher than that. That's my personal opinion though, since the Alpine's THD is unbelieveably low, it's putting out almost all of its true power.

If you do decide to get one from Best Buy, I got a coupon book I could send you that would save you like 15% off of any amp, and has a few other coupons in there that you may like.

tell us how much you want to spend.

right off hand some good 4 channel brands are

arc audio (one of the best,but costly)

jl audio

jbl makes some pretty nice cheap 4 channels

mmats

nakamichi used to make really NICE 4 channels

crossfire also makes some decent 4 channel amps.

if your on a budget though i would go with an mtx , I Had one powering my fronts and backs. With mb quarts all around and they sounded really nice. I Think i paid 200 for that amp. I Cant remember.

hmm...how much i wanna spend, and how much i'll prolly end up spending are 2 different things... :lol: ...i'll prolly end up buying it off ebay when i figure out what i want so i can save a lil bit...but, for a rough estimate i'll say under $200....

i have basically the same setup as you and i'm happy with the clarion 450apa 4 channel amp i have in my car. it costs like 70 something off ebay now :lol:

ok...i don't quite understand this 2 ohm, 4 ohm shit...what do i need to look for!?...

my infinity box from my 6x9's says 110watt RMS @ 4ohms...so, do i need to look by a 100x4 watt @ 4 ohm amp then?!...

ok...i don't quite understand this 2 ohm, 4 ohm shit...what do i need to look for!?...

my infinity box from my 6x9's says 110watt RMS @ 4ohms...so, do i need to look by a 100x4 watt @ 4 ohm amp then?!...

yup you guessed it man :wink:

This one would be my personal choice :)

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=6&pid=10&tab=Specs&cur=USD

$235 shipped with three year warranty

Its listed as being 65x4 @ 4 ohm but I would guess its closer to 80rms/chnl

And yes you want to compare power rarings at 4 Ohm.

Personnally I would use the front two channels for the components, And bridge the two other outputs together to power a subwoofer. And let the 6x9's run off of deck power. Trust me once you have the components in you wont hear the 6x9's anyways.

I agree with the fact that you woun't really hear the 6x9s. However if you aren't running a sub, and you get some good 6x9s then you're gonna want power for them and they WILL give you some bass.

As far as the 4ohms/2ohms thing.. yeah you wanna look at 4ohm. Basically all "normal" priced car audio stuff runs at 4ohm. If you have an amp that can run a 2ohm load, is just means it's probably better and might have more power then one that's rated the same.

I agree with the fact that you woun't really hear the 6x9s. However if you aren't running a sub, and you get some good 6x9s then you're gonna want power for them and they WILL give you some bass.

As far as the 4ohms/2ohms thing.. yeah you wanna look at 4ohm. Basically all "normal" priced car audio stuff runs at 4ohm. If you have an amp that can run a 2ohm load, is just means it's probably better and might have more power then one that's rated the same.

6x9's will give you as much bass as me farting on a hardwood floor. They arent made for the low frequencies. get a nice 8 or 10, put it in a small box in the corner of the trunk and let the thumping comense.

6x9's will give you as much bass as me farting on a hardwood floor.

Look who's talking here!! I don't think your opinion is really accurate anymore, you've been spoiled!

ok...here's the specs on the speakers...like i said before, i might get a sub later but i wanna see what i can get outta this thing with kappa's all the way around...anywayz specs are:

6.5 components= » 2-ohm system impedance

» 2-way external crossover network (18 dB/octave, 3,500 Hz high-pass and low-pass) with adjustable tweeter output settings

» power range: 2-90 watts RMS (270 watts peak power)

» frequency response: 45-25,000 Hz

» sensitivity: 95 dB

6x9's= » 2-way external crossovers (18 dB/octave, 3,500 Hz high- and low-pass)

» sensitivity 90 dB

» frequency response 35-21,000 Hz

» recommended power range 2-110 watts RMS

» peak power handling 330 watts

ok...lookin for an amp for under $250...so, what's recommended NOW!?...

woo hoo...just ordered my 6 1/2's...now i just need an amp, amp wiring kit (what size wire should i get!?), and my custom HU mount...maybe some dynomat for my doors too (that shit's kinda expensive though :? )...

6"x9" put out more bass than people think, with an amp of course, I dont think youll need any dynomat for your door, I dont think the front speakers will be "good enough" lets say that youll need it

DAMMIT...i still havent found an amp i want yet...i was hoping to get a decent one for around $200...then i noticed they all cost like $30 to ship :bash: ...damn damn damn...someone help!!!!....i want @ least 75 watt RMS per channel...