88-89 vs 90-93-ish radio compatability

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I would like to upgrade my stock cassette deck in the 92 to the earlier style with the radio and such on one side and the graphic/digital equalier on the other... my question is, would it work in my car, especiialy w/ the steering wheel controls? would I need to update/ change any wiring.

Yes, it will work. You need the whole dash piece thatholds the radio, dash vents, etc. The 89 radio has the receiver behind the glovebox vs. the 90- right on the back of the radio. You also need the wiring from the receiver to the radio part, and to relocate your radio harness to behind the glovebox.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you crazy :fruity:

Why would you do that. these things suck. Suck. Suck!. My EQ is no more, My 6 Speaker sound... No more. All because of this crappy 3 piece stereo design. I will trade you if you are going to do someting dumb like that. But you will have to find a new EQ, mine shit the bed.

Guest Anonymous

Well, I think the double unit looks much nicer than mine... and i've seen pictures of them at night and they look pretty cool. Personally, I'm unimpressed with my stock one-piece tape deck, and I would like something thats a bit better...

I always thought that these were like a "deluxe" or high end option? but they are POS's???

Would they work with the SWRC?

I think the 2 piece, little cube decks look awesome.. If I could get them to pull aftermarket systems alright, Id thiunk of SOME outrageous mod with one.. But Ross, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one of these if you really want me to..

The 89 SEs with the one-piece radio/cassette may have had the SWRC, but I really doubt that the 1988 3-piece style does, otherwise my car probably would have had them. Personally, I'd rather have steering wheel controls and a one piece unit over a basic steering wheel w/ 3 piece stereo.

And the sound isn't THAT bad, I think it actually sounded better than the stock deck that was in my '95. But still... aftermarket > stock. If you are going for the looks, then by all means try to install the 3 piece, I think they look friggen cool! :wink:

Guest Anonymous
The 2 piece radios definately work with steering wheel controls.

Good to hear.... thats going to be my summer project along with rust control. I have an old-er post in the for sale/wanted section, I'm looking for all three pieces with the dash bezel and the harnesses.

I have the harness that goes to the radio from the receiver. I also have the receiver itself, but you can use the one from the 92, you'll see what I mean when you take it apart. I also have parts of the EQ part. :lol:

If you are installing the EQ w/ the radio make sure the amplifier (the piece under the dash) came from a radio that had an EQ on it. If you install a Non-EQ amplifier and connect an EQ to it, only 2 of the EQ bands will work (one for Bass and one for Treble).

GM made 2 versions of those amplifier boxes.. One was compatible w/ the 5 Band EQ, the others only worked w/ the radio's w/ the Bass & Treble Sliders.

Just a friendly word of advice, hope I didn't confuse you.

Well, I think the double unit looks much nicer than mine... and i've seen pictures of them at night and they look pretty cool. Personally, I'm unimpressed with my stock one-piece tape deck, and I would like something thats a bit better...

I always thought that these were like a "deluxe" or high end option? but they are POS's???

This is what you're talking about, right?:

'89 Grand Prix SE:

3382270-lg.jpg

They do look neat, but that's quite a bit of work to do it just for looks. The sound is probably going to be no better than your factory radio. I have the stock system in my '89 GP and have a '99(?) Pontiac EQ radio in my '96 Lumina - the newer one sounds better, but not by much.

Well the RPE has the 5-band equalizer from the facotory... so that shouldn't be a problem.

Your radio/EQ/amp is all one unit. What he meant was that you'll need the amp for the component system that has the EQ functions. The amp, radio control, & tape/EQ are all separate pieces in the '88-'89 system. Also, like said, you'll need the whole dash from a '88-'89 car. The dash is needed because the mounting points for the radio control & tape/EQ are part of the dash and are completely different from the '90-'93 1.5 DIN ones. If you're handy enough, you may be able to fabricate something to avoid swapping the entire dash - then you would only need the '88-'89 3-hole radio bezel to finish it off.

3382270-lg.jpg

3 piece with SWRC... I'm been prooved wrong! :willynilly:

Yeah I agree it would be a hell of a lot of work for something that wouldn't really be worth it. I'd just stick with what's in there, or if you want something "cooler" get a neat looking aftermarket deck that can play CDs. You can still use the SWRC just get a Pac-X or whatever it's called (I have one and it was easy to install).

I told you. I've seen it numerous times in the junkyard. Shit, Gearhead43's car has it.

I still don't know why you want to do this, Ross. It looks like shit and makes the whole interior look so 80's.. ugh. But hey, if it floats your boat..

Guest Anonymous

Well, if its THAT much work maybe its not worth it.... but I really wanted that setup... then I need to brainstorm something else, maybe for that little cubby...

• 1 year later...

I told you. I've seen it numerous times in the junkyard. Shit, Gearhead43's car has it.

I still don't know why you want to do this, Ross. It looks like shit and makes the whole interior look so 80's.. ugh. But hey, if it floats your boat..

Well It didnt have it ti start with ..LOL.. It had the std AM/FM tape... It was converted.

My car .. (89 GPSE) had 3 peice stereo.. SWC's and the 6 band eqaulizer... if you want my 6 band equalizer and radio.. you can have it for the cost of shipping