Bad idle, Check Engine light, stalling

SEiZe

I have a '96 Old Cutlass with the 3.1 V6. Recently it has been idleing rough and tonight on the way home the "Service Engine Soon" light came on and started flashing. When driving, the RPMs stayed in the normal range but it was "stalling out" when moving forward. At stop lights, I put it in Neutral, and idle was rough still. Anyone have a suggestion?

Run the ECM codes (computer dignostics) and see what curcuit is and then we can take some stabs at it... At first glance, it could be the EGR valve or poor spark plugs or anything... Find out the trouble code(s) and get back to us!

- RedFox340

On all OBDII vehicle (96+) a flashing SES light signifies "catalyst damaging misfire" detected. If you know someone with a scantool that can pull codes, it might lead you somewhere. If you are running that bad I would guess an ignition coil has gone bad and you are missing on 2 cylinders. If you have a timing light, clip it on each of the spark plug wires and see if you are getting ignition pulses.

Yeah, Autozone does free testing I believe... check with them to find out for sure.

I dont think that I want to risk driving my car that far to visit an AutoZone just to check the ECM code. I might do that when I take it to the mechanic, since I don't have the tools and its colder then hell outside. -2º F outside w/ windchill of -19º F, where i live. (no garage) :(

Well, figure this, do you want to see if you can do the project yourself and save some cash and learn in the process... or hand it over to you mechanic that will test / fix and return it to you will a bill and no satisfaction from you? Personally, I'm intrigue in my own set-back and want to expand my knowledge on vehicles.

Personally, according to your problem, you shouldn't have to worry about driving your car around... but your working environment and time commitment to it must be considered... do what you want / got to do. We're trying to help the best way we can with the information and technical ability that you have; helping on forums works both ways: information given and simple testing to elimate careless errors. Just my $0.02...

- RedFox340

Right now is a tough time for me.

1. [*]its cold outside :( [*]i have no spare time :( [*]no other car to get around :( [/list:o]Don't get me wrong, if I the time and another car, I would brave the cold and fix my car. :D

Update:

Seems that the Mechanic has found part of the problem, if not all the problem. They drained the oil from the engine and found that the "quick oil change" shop over filled the oil. It took two drain pans to get all oil out. The plugs were covered with oil, causing the car to idle rough and lose power when moving. Also they found that the car is burning antifreeze. They tested the oil and found that there was a small amount of antifreeze in the oil. Looks like the head gaskets need to be replaced. Rough cost ~$900. :(

2 Pans...sounds like the quick change forgot to drain before they changed!! :lol: Sorry don't mean to laugh, but I don't trust anyone to my car let alone some 18 year old punk who thinks the drain plug needs 100ft/lbs of torque to keep it from leaking!! I would try to persue something against the Quick Change place and get them to fix the car. Any good mechanic that you put $50 cash in his hand could be very convincing in a courtroom to get your car fixed properly whether or not it was the quick change places fault. Dis-honest maybe...cost effective...definitely!!!

8)

I normally replace the oil in the car, but the first time that I don't change the oil (due to a xmas gift certificate), this crap happens. I guess that this teaches me to use a Quick lube place. :(

well your not the first and not the last. I work on cars also and I got a call one day that 90 sonata 4cyl was smoking real bad with a terrible lumpy idle. I checked the oil and it was pure black. I was like damnnn first thing you need is an oil change. I jacked it up and used my huge 12 court pan. I let the oil drain out and i was talking to someone and could here what heard like some liquid running. I was like wtf!!!! I looked under the car and my 12 ct pan was filled and overflowing. I was like ohhh shittt. Come to find out her uncle was trying to fill the engine up with oil unti he :shock: ------>see's<------ it. I was like OMFG! No one can be that dumb. YOu should go and punch the guy!!!!

Car is finally fixed and now runs like a champ.

Here is what it required:

1 Head Set = 261.38

1 New Head Bolt Set = 40.04

6 ACDelco Platinum Plugs = 40.02

1 Fram Oil Filter = 6.00

3.5 Quarts Oil = 11.00

1 Misc Clamp = 1.00

1/2 Gal Dex Cool = 8.00

Tax = 26.64

3.5 Day of Labor = 700.00

Grand Total = $ 1094.08

I know I paid way to much for the repairs on my car, but I didn't have the time nor any transportation to get around. Next time, I'll do the work myself.

:shock: whewwwww<----whitsle! so you blew a headgasket! I guaranty you will do all your oil changes and maintenance from now on. Thats unreal. Sorry to hear about that!

Take your bill and stuff to that quick oil change place and demand some restitution. Don't let them get away with that shit!

I feel for you man. In this crappy economy that's a lot of dinaro to be putting out.

for sure go and try to take some action against that damn quick lube place. I used to work at a penske auto center and some of the kids there fucked cars up bad, the people came back and we fixed or had whoever they wanted to fix their cars fix them on us. So you should at least try, we had to foot the bill for a 6cyl xtreme (4.3) engine and a 2001 northstar motor. And that was easy for the people to get, they didn't even have to put up a fuss. So don't take that bill up the ass, go into that place and shove it up their ass"metaphorically",( spelling is wrong), thats why they have insurance. Go in and be a dick about it, it actually gets you further than being nice and calm. Best of luck

-JAY-