Did a suspension upgrade this weekend...

glock19

I was getting a clunk in the front end when going over some bumps. From previous experience I knew it was a worn strut in the front. Well with 62k on the odometer I figured it was time for an upgrade. I replaced them all the way around with KYB GR-2's. Used the GM strut tool for the front (1.5 hours) and spring compressor for the rear (3 hours). It was not that bad and saved me a sh!t load of cash..... (last time it was $250 for the fronts alone)

OMG what a difference in ride. It feels like a new car. It handles like it is on rails. Well worth the $230...

Glock

$300-$400 you were getting a steal.. before I did the struts on my car 2 yrs ago, I got quotes from Kost Tire, Cole Muffler, even Monroe. They all wanted at least $600 to do mine, some up towards $800. The $800 deal was buy three struts, get one free. Installed, and not including alignment.

Needless to say I did them myself.

$250 for the fronts? They were ripping you off. My local mechanic priced me $300-400 for all 4 struts, install, and 4-wheel alignment.

That is a good price, you should have taken it. The parts alone cost me $230. I would have paid someone $70 to install. How can they have a $100 spread on the quote?

Actually the $250 was thru a family mechanic who I know would not screw me over. The wife's family has him and his family over for dinner, get together at x-mas, does car stuff for free or at cost etc... At the time it was in 1996 on a 1995 Monte Carlo.

Glock

sorry somthin that irks me here, I totally understand you guys want things done as cheap as possible but your practically puttin these mechanics and treyre trade down. if you know the parts are 250 and it takes a GOOD 2 hours to put in the 4 struts and another 45 minutes to do the alignment that means you paid the guy what? 20 bucks an hour to bust his knucles on your car and hopefully after he buys himself a hot lunch and pays his overhead hopefully he'l have enough money to keep his shop open. meanwhile he's got arthritis, drives a POS, and tells his kids not to be a mechanic. I'm not sayin 800 is right either but somtimes you slip people what u feel is there fair earnings not the low ball price theyre forced to take to keep the lights on . just my opinion sorry if I offend anyone

its just that bein an apprentic I see the customers who think any price is too high, and yet they say mechanics make great money! well which one ? next to nothing or great money! so many customers tryin to get everything for free

hey man this is a skilled trade, they dont give things away for free. you want to pay the guy doin it next to nothing but oh boy will you ever want more than that if somthing happens due to mechanic error.

300 for 4 struts and alignment? wow