• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pitzel

• GnatGoSplat

• Dirty Rockstar

• Baddflash

On Canadian cars there is a pushbutton on the dash to switch between metric and imperial, kms,oil Pres in kilopascals,temp in celcius. There is also another mode switch which allows you to set the cluster to just display the hockey sticks, just the display digital mhp/rpm or both. The MemCAL chip is not different on Canadian cars tho, there are only 2 memcal chips for a given model, federal or california emmissions so you should be able to just wire in the switch someplace

Where is this mode switch that allows the cluster to display just hockey sticks? I've never seen this before.

Now I know what the 150kms thing is, but I don't recall ever seeing that in the ALDL chatter stream. The redline is definitely in the chatter, that one was easy to find.

So up to 467k km/291k miles. Only 8 more days to go till I hit a million km! Stay tuned!

Have you disconnected power and turned it back on to make sure the mileage is really saved to NVM? My truck's digital odometer would advance up to 2000mph, but would not save the new value over 1000mph and would revert to power-on mileage if power were removed.

So up to 467k km/291k miles. Only 8 more days to go till I hit a million km! Stay tuned!

Have you disconnected power and turned it back on to make sure the mileage is really saved to NVM? My truck's digital odometer would advance up to 2000mph, but would not save the new value over 1000mph and would revert to power-on mileage if power were removed.

That would definitely suck if he were to wait all this time for the mileage to advance and disconnect power just to find it back at default.

Where is this mode switch that allows the cluster to display just hockey sticks? I've never seen this before.

on my 88 regal the are 3 smaller switches side by side, to the lower right of the wheel where I think there is only one larger for trip/od on US models.

one is a push on/push off for imperial/metric

one is momentary for the trip od/odometer/zero trip

and the third momentary is labeled mode, pushing it once it will only diplay the hockey sticks which is analog mode I guess, again for digital mode it only display the numbers on the tach and speedo and again it displays both.

When I bot the car in 1988 I also looked at cutlass' and I am pretty sure they had this to, analog or digital or both modes on the speedo and tach

By The Way, there is a way to just program, mileage into the UB3, mine failed in the 1st year and was replaced by the dealer under waranty, the new display was installed with the correct mileage, so either the dealer programed it or the onboard pudr did or the factory did when the dealer ordered it and I am pretty sure they didn't plug it in for a week

I am pretty sure they didn't plug it in for a week

Which leads me to believe that the digital odometer will read ERROR when it attempts to roll over to 1million.

That would definitely suck if he were to wait all this time for the mileage to advance and disconnect power just to find it back at default.

Yeah, tell me about it!!! I let the thing run a couple weeks and disconnected power only to discover it reset back. My Denali cluster had 29k on it, and my truck had 129k, so it had a pretty good ways to go too! I finally got it advanced to the right mileage and installed though, once I discovered I had to keep it at 1000mph or lower. Every day or so, I disconnected and reconnected power just to make sure it was saving.

and the third momentary is labeled mode, pushing it once it will only diplay the hockey sticks which is analog mode I guess, again for digital mode it only display the numbers on the tach and speedo and again it displays both.

When I bot the car in 1988 I also looked at cutlass' and I am pretty sure they had this to, analog or digital or both modes on the speedo and tach

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about a Regal. I have never seen or heard of a Mode button on a Cutlass digital cluster.

The Cutlass cluster does have the E/M for English/Metric.

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about a Regal. I have never seen or heard of a Mode button on a Cutlass digital cluster.

The Cutlass cluster does have the E/M for English/Metric.

They were on the Cdn 1988 Cutlass' to I remember looking at them when I bot the car new I compared both of them feature for feature pretty close before ordering the regal

Yes, mileage is saved properly. I have tested this a number of times.

I read that dealers could program the mileage on a new cluster, but once the mileage is over 100 it wont let you change it anymore.

Why is it when I hook up the scan tool, the rpm gauge locks at its last place and the red-line dissapears? My DIC stops too.?

Yes, mileage is saved properly. I have tested this a number of times.

In that case, it looks like Denso's digital cluster was more advanced in 1988 than Delco's digital odometer was in 1999!

Why is it when I hook up the scan tool, the rpm gauge locks at its last place and the red-line dissapears? My DIC stops too.?

This is because the cluster gets tach and DIC gets its data from chatter, which is the data that's always on the ALDL. The chatter is Mode 0. Mode 0 only supplies redline, fuel consumption, coolant temp, tach, volts, speed, and a few other things. Your scan tool wants to put the ALDL into Mode 1. Mode 1 contains about 20x more data than Mode 0. There's stuff like park/neutral status, spark advance, block learn, rich/lean, and a ton more stuff. The byte offsets don't match, so the cluster and DIC will ignore all transmission in Mode 1.

Bad news guys. Got up to 999,999km, and the odometer locked. Wouldn't even increment the miles any more than 621,234 mi either.

Kind of a sad day for me, but I guess that goes with the territory.

Any suggestions for a 'next step'?